Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: I got it to start today (1/17/2023), i replaced the starter even though they said it was good when i went to get it tested. But now that i replaced it and it starts , it kind of screeches for like a second before it starts.

My car was running great then christmas time came where i didn’t use the car for a week, i try to turn it on but it won’t start and it’s been like that for the past 2 weeks except for today when it actually started after hooking up a battery jumper to it. I go to walmart to get some things and i get home, but once i get home the car doesn’t turn on anymore even after hooking up the battery jumper to it. I also swapped the battery from another civic that turns on but it stills doesn’t turn on, so i know my battery is good. I went to get my starter tested at auto zone today and they said it works. Anyone know what the problem could be??
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Sky

· BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
13,154 Posts
did you open your dist to see how much oil was in it?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car was running great then christmas time came where i didn’t use the car for a week, i try to turn it on but it won’t start and it’s been like that for the past 2 weeks except for today when it actually started after hooking up a battery jumper to it. I go to walmart to get some things and i get home, but once i get home the car doesn’t turn on anymore even after hooking up the battery jumper to it. I also swapped the battery from another civic that turns on but it stills doesn’t turn on, so i know my battery is good. I went to get my starter tested at auto zone today and they said it works. Anyone know what the problem could be?? View attachment 143813
did you open your dist to see how much oil was in it?
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part Nut

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Rim Auto part
T
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

· Formerly weebeastie
2,076 Posts
won't crank* my bad

no but i'll do that today. why could that be a reason if you don't mind me asking, i just don't know too much about mechanics
If a large amount of oil is present in the distributor cap because of a leaky internal seal, it will not run properly, and most likely won't run at all.

i.e. this:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas Automotive lighting

This Prelude would crank over but not start because of the oil in the cap. Generally though, when they get this bad, they leave a puddle of oil under them.

Reactions: SkunkY8

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If a large amount of oil is present in the distributor cap because of a leaky internal seal, it will not run properly, and most likely won't run at all.

i.e. this:

View attachment 143817

View attachment 143818

This Prelude would crank over but not start because of the oil in the cap. Generally though, when they get this bad, they leave a puddle of oil under them.
I got it to start today, i replaced the starter even though they said it was good when i went to get it tested. But now that i replaced it and it starts , it kind of screeches for like a second before it starts.

Ground cables, ignition switch, faulty alarm. First things to check.
I got it to start today, i replaced the starter even though they said it was good when i went to get it tested. But now that i replaced it and it starts , it kind of screeches for like a second before it starts.

· Registered
10,091 Posts
I would add a few battery grounds. one to the strut tower normal spot, and the other, bolt to the transmission somewhere.

Then I would heavily test the battery. If you can avoid needing the car, load test the battery after 30-45 minutes on a 20-30amp charger. Charge 30-45 minutes, LET SIT for an hour. Then load test for 10-15 seconds at a time, with 5 minutes BETWEEN each test.

If the battery conks out after just the second test, it is junk.

EDIT, why? screeching means either it was a friday reman, or your battery is making the starter work WAY harder than it needs to

1 - 14 of 14 Posts