Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, well I have a y8 built and boosted, has a cam and built head, but it made horrible numbers on the dyno... 169whp at 5k rpm, and then falls off from there, we think we narrowed it to vtec not working, what im trying to figure out is the rocker assembly, does the y8 have 8 or 4 synchronizing pistons? I took off my assembly and mine has 4 in it, but this diagram seems like 2 per pair of rocker arms totaling 8 for 8 intake valves, Makes sense but can anyone confirm it??

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a y8 head, Yes it is stock rocker assembly there is nothing else in there besides the basic vtec, primary rockers, and a vtec rocker and lma in the middle of them, with 1 pin inside of it- that slides in and out easily, the primary rocker on one side has a stationary insert with a hole centered, doesnt seem to come in and out, the other primary rocker is hollow, is that wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The picture looks like the Y5 with vtec-e has only 1 synchronizer pin but the Y8 vtec has 2, seems right? from what i can tell the first rocker has a piece with a spring behind it to disengage vtec? Just trying to figure out for sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you check your solenoid and see when you put voltage to it that it opens and fluid can flow threw it??? Is it a complete y8 or hybrid??

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
looks like it might be a y5 head.

check the LMAs for confirmation. if its a rocker pad, its a Y8 most like.y

if its a roller tip, its a Y5. the only other USDM D series head for 2000 and older motors is the d15z1 to have rollers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ryuken
Yeah the solenoid is functioning, we tested it at tuner. And it is a full y8

@mattliston
No it does not have roller rockers, I know the y5 head has only 1 pin per cylinder because the vtec e is much different, works on only 4 intake valves until the pin locks into the other intake valve, but regular vtec is all 8 vales being used all the time, both rocker arms lock into the 'lma' rocker

@lamer
Yeah definitely not lol way different, there is no lost motion assembly on the y5

I think i know now that my head needs 8 synchronizing pins and i only have 4, i suspect somthing that was previously happened while the head was rebuilt, i purchased the head complete with stage 2 cam, ferrea valves, bc springs and retainers, and a p&p job all done and ready to go. From whats in there i can tell it is a y8 rocker assembly, and from what little i can find on internet basic vtec setups commin in all engine series need 2 pins so i am going to find an untouched y8 head and pull it apart

1 - 9 of 9 Posts