Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
D16Y8 vs. D16Y5 IM Runner Lengths, Plenum Vol.

Hey gang,

Trying to see if someone out there knows, for sure, if the runner and plenum specs are the same on D16Y8 and D16Y5 intake manifolds.

I've been out on the interwebz and have only seen a couple of side-by-side pictures and it appears that the runners may be different, but it's hard to tell.

The castings are for sure different. Y5 has a different support leading into the #4 runner and of course all the EGR stuff (which looks like an interesting place for a NOS install, if that's your thing).

Y5 has a P2J casting.

Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would photographs or measurements of a Y5 intake manifold be of any use for you? Got a spare one lying around here.. But as far as I know, they're the same except for the EGR stuff. Here in Germany, we got the Y5 manifold on the 96-00 D15 VTEC-e engines and many people also use it on their D14 (same manifold as D16Y7) and D16Y7 engines to get a little more power, just like the Y8 manifold. Been running one myself on a D14 before i swapped that for a complete D15Z8 VTEC-e engine, you could feel the difference.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny enough I am in Germany also, and I also have a Y5 manifold sitting on my work bench. Building a high compression D14 for my EJ9.

To me the Y5 runners appear to be slightly longer and maybe smaller in diameter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you got it there, why don't you measure yours and then ask someone to measure their spare Y8 manifold? From my point of view they're the same apart from the EGR stuff.. but I didn't measure anything yet cause it seemed to me they're pretty much the same thing.. also, I don't have a Y8 manifold here anymore of which I could take the measurement. :D

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will measure it... when I find some time. Maybe on the weekend.

I'm in Riedstadt just down the road from FRA.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not in Frankfurt actually but I thought it would be easier for people around the world because they might know where that is rather than where the Odenwald is - which is about 1 hour away by car. :D
But good to know you're pretty close. Riedstadt next to Darmstadt you mean? That's even closer haha..

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, near Darmstadt. We spend a lot of weekends near Beerfelden (Odw.) at our vacation house.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeaa well I live in Erbach, surely you know that. Maybe you could drop by when you are bored on vacation one day. ;)
Any news on the manifold size, did you measure anything?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Finally got around to cleaning up the Y5 manifold. Here are some before and after shots... and one comparison to the stock D14A4 (Y7). I'm going to CC the Y5 manifold on the weekend to get an overall volume.

**Edit... guess I need more posts?

Strange. Just trying to add some useful information to the group, but they make it a real challenge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts