Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im running a d16y8 in a 89 crx si, and i need some help, its my first turbo app so im new at this, here is my setup-

Comp cams Stage 2 Cam
Focuzed Cam gear
Port and Poished Head
AEM FPR and Fuel Rail
ACT stage 3, 6 puck Clutch Kit /w 11lbs flywheel
Eagle H-beam Rods
J-E 8:5:1 turbo pistons
Hahn Racecraft Super 16G Turbo
Cartec Fmu
Turboxs BOV and Boost Controller
Tial 38mm Wastegate
3" intercooler Piping
24x14x4 Intercooler
XSPower Turbo Manifold
MSD 6MAL Igintion Contrl Box
MSD Blaster Coil
MSD Pro Cap
Buddy Club Vtec Controller
Light Weight Pully kit
Nuforms Block Guard
Calabama Hydulics Oil Lines
OBX Throttle Body Spacer
Ractive Exahst Muffler
2 1/4 Exahst Piping

Wat im trying to do is set up everything for my car to run good. my fpr is at 47-54psi, and i need to know where a good place to set it is. i dont know how to tune the fmu, or how exactly the vacuum lines should be ran for the boost controller. i know i sound like i total nuub, but im a N/A kinda guy and im giving thing a shot. if anyone can help me i would greatly apprciate it. if u wanna post on the forum cool, but if u want my email addy is [email protected]. i have more questions but that the important stuff for now, i need to get it running by tomorrow. thanks

RunningWild

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
not a bad setup, I would highly recommend 2 things, get a bigger exhaust, Id go with a 2.5 inch myself- www.kteller.com and get rid of that FMU, chip a p28 and life will be much easier for you! :TU:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i dont need to FMU to run the car? this is the problem i am having, i drove the car with just the downpipe, no big deal turbo dont need to much back pressure, well my car started bogging down as soon as i gave it gas. i was reading that it was going thru fuel cut off cuz the fpr is set to igh and the fmy might be pushing to much pressure to the tank. when the car is sitting, and i revv it up it doesnt bog at all, that why i been so confused on what to do. any idea's?

·
Registered
486 Posts
i only saw two things i would have not got the fmu and the block guard...on the bogging is all your vaccum line correct? maybe compressor surge.. your on stock injectors?? your od0 right so fuel cut off is not the issue... what are you boosting 6-8psi??? if higher the bogging may be the motor going lean.. get some dsm injectors and a chipped ecu get it tuned and welcome.

·
Random Hero
2,624 Posts
I'd scrap that 2 1/4 exhaust, keep running your open down pipe. and do as everyone else said, get rid of the fmu and goto a chipped tuned ecu, although with the y8, have fun :)

you can go on honda-tech.com and click search, and check off archived, and find FMU and all sorts of vac line diagrams. Make sure all ur vac/boost lines are hooked up correct and you should be good to go.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill take the fmu out, but do u mind explaining why? and im pretty sure all of my vacuum lines are right... and im not running p28... lol its running on the pm6 out of the 89 crx, its the same just no vtec, but that being activated via my shift light. the reason im in the crx in the first place is cause my 96 ek6 burned to the ground and all i could salvage is the engine... the ecu went with the car. wat do u mean about turbo surge as well? like i said before when im sitting it spools nice, and the engine runs fine... thats why i been confused. is the fuel pressure up to high? or is it that the fmu is not letting pressure get to the fuel tank? looks confused.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
btw, im boosting 6 psi and yes im on stock injectors for the time being. and last thing what should i do about my cam and ing timing?

·
yellow bar for me
3,572 Posts
fmus are junk. they read off of vacuum and guess about how much to up your fuel pressure when you hit boost. remove the fmu. then you have a couple of choices. u can convert to obd-1 and tune with crome or uber. or you can keep you pm6 and tune with turboedit. personally i would convert and use a p28.

·
Registered
14 Posts
chipped p28 and turboedit( i believe that is obdo) unless your obd1 then crome. i would def get rid of those stock injectors if you built somethin why risk blowin it. that should take care of your ign prob as well

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
im suprised its still runing. y8 are really tricky in timing under boost from what ihave read. Iwould use an FMU to drive down to the tuning shop with a p28 installed, and even then Iwould shift at 2500rpm to tay out of boost lol.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im running the check valve bleed off thing, so im not running the missinglink think... and im not a neebie to working on cars, just a noob to high boost... any more help?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts