Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here and have searched this forum and google and can't find the answer I am looking for.

Basically I bought a 98 Civic EX for 300.00 because it had a blown D16Y8. Perfect opportunity to rebuild the engine and to save money. What I would like to ask though, since my goal is to go boost on a daily driver is what would be the proper way to build this motor? Looking for a step by step if you will i e from top to bottom like pistons, rods, gaskets, ECU, injectors and so on.

Also please do not criticize me or comment how stupid I am, Google it first, do research on your own, your too stupid to build if you know nothing about turbo. I am here to learn and we all have to start somewhere. Thanks

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
welcome to D-series!

You have a a lot of questions and its going to take a good amount of time to answer them, What I can suggest is browse through some threads and read. for a daily driver and not a race car, id suggest looking into an Eagle/FJ rod / Vitara piston combo, its been proven reliable. for tuning there are many different roads you can follow, most do an OBDII - OBDI conversion and tune with programs such as Chrome/Uberdata/Hondata but you can also run a stand alone EMS like AEM/Greddy/Apexi, it really all depends on what you want. so before you start you should have an idea of what you want and what goals you have. How much power your looking to make and with what kind of a set-up.

·
Registered
722 Posts
This would be interesting thread to follow as i also would like to know the same answers
but have you read this, tons of info on our d16y8 setup and a little extra on tunning
read-if-your-thinking-going-turbo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome link! That covers about everything and I was reading up on the Vitara pistons with the FJ rods, not bad, not bad. Only thing I didn't see was the gasket size? Any ideas for the thickness or use OEM? Thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
What are your goals with the engine? for example i want to go boost and be around the 280-350whp on my daily driver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts