Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I have a full d16y8 except intake is a z6. It was recently built by me i have only started it maybe 4 times to do heat cycles and to tune the idle it has not been driven.

Parts- stock head, p2p0 rods, vitara pistons, acl race bearings, arp head studs, turbo, skunk2 catback exhaust.

Problem, their is a loud ticking once the car gets warm gets louder as you rev higher (will try to post a video) I did a valve adjustment with no help i have dropped the oil pan and look for rods hitting and theirs no scratches dings metal shavings nothing (block is notched) do not know what else to do I have had people tell me that its piston slap

Will not let me post a video so if you know your stuff please message me or something so we can talk and I'll send a video that way thank you

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,004 Posts
did you wiggle the rod bearings?

·
4,004 Posts
If you mean side to side on the crank yes I did all free
This is my first car build ever learned everything I know (which ain't much) from building this car lol
side to side, up and down, forward and back......all free as in they move?

·
4,004 Posts
pretty sure there should be no play in any direction.....

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Did this sound just appear or have you always had it?

My 1990 CRX HF was bought new by my Mom. I inherited it at around 15k. Since it was new, it had a ticking when it was started cold that would go away after warming up. And that ticking would sometimes come back above 3k rpm. The car had zero issues it's entire life (except for chewing through a couple alternators)...and ran perfect at 350k miles when the body gave out due to Michigan salt / rust.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Also, have you taken a stick / rod and pushed down on the alternator and other areas while you are revving? I had what I thought was a knock once and leaned on the alternator...the knock vanished.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts