Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like honda-tech so here's my general question. I want to stay automatic because i live in a hilly area with a lot of traffic and manual wasn't my thing. So, i don't trust this tranny to supercharging so how about a k20a3 swap? has it been done, can it be done, what price tag for everything installed? i don't see the point in swapping for a b18 because its only 13 more ponies and i already have i/h/e on the d16y8.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
steve98ex said:
just sell your car and get another, spending $8000 on a k swap seems a little nuts to me
spending 8000 on a k swap IS nuts...... 4.5k shipped.

but not all B18's are 13 hp over a y8.... c1, c5.....

or how about an auto-manual swap?

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
SOHC_Rules said:
spending 8000 on a k swap IS nuts...... 4.5k shipped.

but not all B18's are 13 hp over a y8.... c1, c5.....

or how about an auto-manual swap?
thats what I SAY as well, just tranny swap, trust me if doesnt feel the same, Ive heard from sources that going from a auto to manual results in a 20% power gain becasue the auto robs is from so much..... and its only 1200 or so for the complete swap, just stack the parts together and have fun when u got them all.... :werd:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guys, this site is great, but read the original post, i WANT to STAY AUTOMATIC and i mentioned that i was posting this question here because i don't like honda-tech and you guys seem to be the most knowlegeable on any honda topic.

E

·
0 Posts
I'd buy a new car before I would a k-series swap. You have to customize the exhaust manifold/headers, the intake tubing and the rad, I believe. The job to put in a k-20 into a EK I would imagine it would be a bit pricey. I live in Canada and in CDN dollars I would imagine it would be around $2500 CDN, I believe that's $2000 US. Then you'd have to be the k20a3. Which would be another load of money.

I wouldn't recommend getting a k-series.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
If you don't mind spending $10k, go ahead and put a auto K series in. If you want something reliable and quick, just boost your Y8... get an Edelbrock kit, ~$3k, and a level 10 build on your transmission. You should still be well under $5k, and able to kick some k-series around...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
jimmyb34 said:
for one he asked about a k20a3 not an a2 or anything. these can be had for 1500-2500 bucks
but your not going to stay automatic with a k swap so it would be out of the question
Yeah, but the problem is...

K20A3 - $2500
Mounts - $600
Wiring harness modification - $300
Header - $400
New radiator - $100 maybe
Hondata reflash - $600 or
K-Pro - $1000

Install labor - $2000+

That's at least $6500, and probably more. Lots more...

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
i was just saying engine wise. a2s run almost 5 gs for just the basics and the type r's are even more expensive
if your set on a k swap buy a tsx or crv block with an a2 head. this way can be had cheaper than a whole engine. then just worry about the other things, reflash is 500 i think but just get kpro because youll need that.

i wouldnt do the swap if it were me. id build the d and go turbo!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts