Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, been lurking for a while and decided to post my swap.
I have an 89 hf crx, and the donor motor is coming from a 98 civic ex coupe automatic. So far I've removed the old motor, and am preparing the new motor to be dropped in and wired up.

Question: is there any way to keep the new motor obd-2?
Is my only realistic option to use an obd-0/obd-1 conversion harness and a p28 ecu?

Here's the d16y8:

The stock motor out of the crx:

the valve cover painted on the inside :wacko::

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hehe, nothing special Pata, but I'll look for a pic.

sleepingciv: I thought I read somewhere that I could use the same distributor, just repin the connector? is this true?

and the obd1 injectors, if I remove the resistor box, would that make it obd1 compliant?

I'm trying to keep expenses at a minimum, and am hoping to get this finished asap.

the p28 ecu is on the way, and I just need to pick up the ecu conversion harness. Other than that, all that should be left is to do the wiring (boo) and install the tranny onto the new motor.

This is my frist swap and am hoping everything works out the first time. Thanks :D

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
convert to obd1, ditch the resistor box if using obd1 injectors, repin dizzy with whatever connector you have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
convert to obd1, ditch the resistor box if using obd1 injectors, repin dizzy with whatever connector you have.
I'd be using the stock obd2 y8 injectors. Would removing the resistor make it obd-1?

Also, I'd have to remove rp17 and rp18, and bridge rp18 to make it a manual ecu, correct?

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
for ecu
Remove RP18, RP17. Then jump RP18 with a piece of wire, 1 ohm resistor, or paper clip.

you cant use the obd2 dizzy cause the it has no crank sensor

as for the obd2 injectors you will need the injectors clips for them. and remove the injector box

send me your harness and plugs ill convert it over really cheap man

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've already replaced the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump.
I have a dist cap, rotor, plugs, and wires waiting to be put on once I get my valve cover back from sand blasting.

For an o2 sensor, has anyone used an ngk o2 sensor? For a part number I'm pulling up # 24542 for the d16y8.

The only thing left to replace on the engine is the alternator belt, and the oil pan gasket. It seems to be leaking.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THIS.
Quality work right here son.
Glad he posted in this thead. Already seeking his skills to help me out :)

Once I get the wiring squared away, I'm done with the swap!!!! :clap:

I have a second parts list:
fel-pro valve cover gasket #VS50500R
fel-pro oil pan gasket #OS30691R
ngk spark plug wires #he76
ngk o2 sensor #24542
an alternator belt #4040315.

I'll be getting this over the weekend, and expect to have the swap done around... mm probably 3 weeks realistically. cant wait!

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Would the y8 alternator be compatible with the p28 obd conversion? Is it as simple as repinning the plugs?
I used my stock OBD0 altenator, it's easier that way lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So I've been reading up in the forums for a while about my timing being off with my d16y8/p28 combo.
From what I've gathered, I need to get a z6 camgear, to get an overall 9 degree retard in timing. (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
I do want to have my car bar'd, and am confused at this point about the timing.
Do I also need to change out the crank pulley for a z6 pulley as well?
Or will the camgear fix all of my timing issues?
A tune is in the future, but it will be a while before I can tune it. Thats why I'm worried about getting the timing right before I'm done with the swap.

Side note: I see a lot of people in this forum going with the crower stage 2 camgears. Is there any particular reason for this, or is it one of those companies that have a good product and r/d behind it?

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
how when the y8 dont have a crank sensor in the dizzy?? its located at the crank it self lol
Easy, cut plugs and solder on OBD1 lol, i did it on mine and my car runs fine :yes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts