Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks. First time here but this seemed better than the intro part.

I currently have a restored '78 Civic and for the last 15 years have ran a fully built 1st gen Prelude/Accord 1.8 with dual side draft Dellorto carbs. Its a quick car at les than 1800 lbs but with a recent oil pump failure I am getting tired of these old motors, old technology and near inability to source parts.

Its been done before, but am looking at swapping in a D16Y8. Looking at naturally aspirated and hoping to run ITB's (I am partial to the sound of dual side draft carbs!).

I have been reading dozens of posts and the availability of parts floors me. I know there are turbo and supercharger options but space is a serious issue with these swaps and with the power to weight it won't take much for a D16 (well stock really) to trump my current set up.

Seems I may need to run a 89-91 si transmission for the cable clutch set up but am looking for advice with good and tight to the block headers??? (clearance issues again) and any options for an ITB set up? Seems custom may be the only option but am miffed as to why nothing exists in the aftermarket for the D16y8. I really need to watch the length of the intake runners as even stock is getting tight.

PS -what size exhaust most run? I have 1.75" with my current set up and wondering if I can keep the same. Don't need a cat in these early cars.

thanks all. More to follow....mostly questions!

Attachments

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
505 Posts
Evening folks. First time here but this seemed better than the intro part.

I currently have a restored '78 Civic and for the last 15 years have ran a fully built 1st gen Prelude/Accord 1.8 with dual side draft Dellorto carbs. Its a quick car at les than 1800 lbs but with a recent oil pump failure I am getting tired of these old motors, old technology and near inability to source parts.

Its been done before, but am looking at swapping in a D16Y8. Looking at naturally aspirated and hoping to run ITB's (I am partial to the sound of dual side draft carbs!).

I have been reading dozens of posts and the availability of parts floors me. I know there are turbo and supercharger options but space is a serious issue with these swaps and with the power to weight it won't take much for a D16 (well stock really) to trump my current set up.

Seems I may need to run a 89-91 si transmission for the cable clutch set up but am looking for advice with good and tight to the block headers??? (clearance issues again) and any options for an ITB set up? Seems custom may be the only option but am miffed as to why nothing exists in the aftermarket for the D16y8. I really need to watch the length of the intake runners as even stock is getting tight.

PS -what size exhaust most run? I have 1.75" with my current set up and wondering if I can keep the same. Don't need a cat in these early cars.

thanks all. More to follow....mostly questions!
Very nice! I haven't seen an off the shelf ITB setup for the D16, you could cut and shut the stock manifold if you're chasing clearance. I think the factory header without a shield will hug the block fairly tight.

I've seen this swap done into a 1g before, have you found any build threads for similar builds?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Why touch such a fantastic example of the old age of honda?

If you really want to do teh swap, consider doing it in such a way that nothing is cut or removed.

This will require some modification to the intake manifolds that the D series motors use, and will require a custom radiator most likely.

Custom axles/cv shafts may need to be used unless there are "upgrade" options for the hub assemblies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts