Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
EL
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am a new member to the site and wanted to introduce myself. I am 23 own an HVAC company in Ontario Canada. Ive owed a 98 contour/ 04 Jetta TDI/ 05 GS500F/ 06 SV650S/ and i currently own an 04 RX-8, an 02, Yamaha R1 (both 8 and 1 are moderately modded incl exhaust intake/filter and piggy back management) I am now taking on a project of building a D16Y8 to be fast, reliable, inexpensive and reliable! notice a pattern there? i acquired a 99 acura 1.6el that has 190km on it. it needs a little love but i got a great deal on it and have the motivation to do well with it. it has a blown engine the rod went into the block so its toast. ive since picked up a 98 y8 with a spun rod bearing on cylinder 4 (i took it apart and found the bearing shavings collected in the oil pan) so as it sits right now i have the parts fully washed and ready to go back together sans extra metal shavings and no real damage anywhere except the crank has a hairline groove in it. bigger bearings and have it polished out? i have ordered 9:1 srp pistons eagle h beam rods cometic hg, 2.5" header Full exhaust with headers. new oil pump water pump timing belt, arp studs, clevitte bearings,hondata intake manifold gasket, intake, fidanza 7lbs fly, exedy stg 1 clutch, new coolant hoses, zex valve springs, adj cam gear, and soon to be purchased cam... i plan on boosting with a t3/t4 set-up in the future but was going to purchase turbo and all associated mods later on when the time is right and drive this n/a for a month or two for it to break in well. some advice on the build would be appreciated maybe im forgetting a key part to the build the turbo parts will come later incl ignition system and fuel but to get this on the road i think im close to ready just wait for odds and ends to come in the mail. so if u think i might be overlooking something feel free to let me know. ill be sure to post pics as the car comes together and im not sure where my limit is with this project but i will say its geting a honda lip kit and new paint to look clean but not rice and this will be a daily driver with full sound system in it. thanks everyone if you've read to this point you must enjoy your honda's a lot so hats off to you and im anxious to join into the honda fun.

·
Registered
EL
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try my best to separate thoughts now i read that over and it was small and cluttered. My mistake. pics to come i have some on my phone but will get the real camera out for this.
I took the damaged crank to a shop today locally to have it cleaned up but one of the rod bearings chewed into it too deep. it was 4 thousandths out and deemed useless.

I might just go ahead and take the engine out of the chassis to inspect the crank and see it the engine i have which has a blown block might by any chance have a good crank.
im going to search which cranks work with the y8 and stock rod/piston sizing as well incase i need to purchase one.

·
Registered
EL
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking the shop that checked my old one only had d15 cranks. noone on kijiji is selling it and i dont trust ebay when it comes to used parts.
I have however used ebay for 99% of my build so far but thats just for brand name parts.
I will take pics today its all starting to come in the mail
so far ive received
the hondata gasket , cometic gasket
new oil pump (should i shim it? or port it) or leave it alone because its new?
rad hoses and an intake system that looks really nice for an $80 intake ( i say this having a $750 HKS racing suction intake on my rx8 right now.
I also was wondering i know the cranks measure out the same but are all the threads in the crank for flywheel and pully matching on all d series as well as the oil pump?
Every day i see parts in the mail im getting more excited to drive this.
I think all EL owners in oakville and mississauga are wondering why some guy with a done up rx8 wont stop looking at there car. im loving it lol.
noone has tried to race or anything like that.
impressive
compared to most honda encounters i experience. and trust me im not saying im winning. lol.

·
Registered
EL
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, i constantly am theres only so much i can read in a day but its also what creates some of my questions with people constantly contradicting each other in the topics. hard to know who to trust.

·
Registered
EL
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took a bunch of pictures today i just need to find my card reader to upload them some time tonight or tomorrow. new things come in the mail every day.
today i received the flywheel, clutch and an oil catch can i ordered.

·
Registered
EL
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a nice ebay story today. Ordered a full exhaust sytem for the car and when it arrives it turns out they sent me a high performance rad for my car by accident... this is one of those ebayers who jacks up shipping cost and marks the parts low. so they offered me to pay half to keep it.
Sum it up i got a performance rad and new electric rad fan for $35 :D thanks ebay... my exhuast is delayed but im not upset.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Canadian content, awesome.

Didn't they pass a law in Ontario recently where they have the right to seize and crush and modified cars? Or was that only if you do 50 over the limit...

I had an EL and loved it to death, can't wait to see one boosted! Looks like you've got your stuff together, but you seriously need to post more pics. Especially of the EL in question!

Welcome to the D

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Every d16 crank is the same. %99.9 sure anyway. Im using a d16z6 crank in my y8 right now, because my y8 crank actually snapped in half (weird.) Find a y7 or y8 crank if your picky about it though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts