Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I really need some help I have never fully understood how to properly advance my timing, and use my advance dial on my gun I’ve read posts after post and still need some clarification. Here’s my situation....

I have a 1998 ek coupe with a d16y8, I visited the tuner today and picked up a chipped p28 tuned on chrome however he told me to set my base timing at 21 degrees.. how do I advance the timing and know that my mark is lining up to 21 degrees if I’m correct the puppy is not marked past 16 ? Any help would be appreciate guys thanks in advance

Mods are just bolt ons headers full exhaust and intake

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s why it just doesn’t make sense to me not sure why he would have recommended base to be at 21.. I don’t know much about tuning but I think he’s going to have to install and tune this..

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
It is likely he was referring to a different motor in his head, or perhaps he was remembering actual service timing inside the programming.

Might be easier to simply call and ask.

Your setup doesnt NEED a tune. But a good tune WILL make a nice difference for you, especially with getting rid of very conservative factory ignition timing.

Does the chipped ecu have a usb port for tuning? or is it simply a chip tune where you need to remove the memory chip and install into a burner to read on a computer?

If you have a way of reading the tune, you should be able to figure out what its trying to use as a base timing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does a hondata300 help on a pretty much stock motor? I just bored .020 over installed vitaras with no notch rods. My compression got lowered a bit and i plan on turboing in the future. In the mean time I am running a stock ECU. Will this hurt anything?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts