Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if posting in the right place but here's my situation. 98 civic ex d16y8 turbo. Just had the turbo put on and tuned a couple weeks ago and only drove it about three times not hard at all because I was told I would need head studs. It ran perfect on all 4, ran strong and sounded great before I pulled it into the garage. This week I replaced the head studs with arp's, new head gasket, intake gasket, head was resurface and cleaned, fresh oil and antifreeze etc. I got everything back together and started it and it was running like Shit. Started off with pulling the plug wires one by one and cyl 3 when pulled the idle didn't change, unplugged the injector on cyl 3 and the same. When I listen at the exhaust it sounds likes its choking kind of like a pop every second. Also vacume its sitting about 18. It did not sound like this or run like this before .What did I forget to do or mess up or not plug in? Any ideas or any diagnosis I can do to root the problem ? I would check all data for diagnostic procedures but not sure if it would be the same with having after market parts on. Any help or ideas where to start would be great !! Thanks !

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Make sure injector is working on that cylinder, I know you can check if you are getting voltage there. Also verify plugs are good, did you swap a plug over from another cylinder? You could also have a crimped or bad plug wire on 3. Those are the easy ones, if that doesn't work move to cap and rotor and then keep going up the chain dude, time to trouble shoot, my favorite part.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
You didnt by chance forget to screw all the plugs in did you, one time forgot to screw them all the way down so they were loose and it ran like crap. Also check the injector clip, when i went turbo i had a messed up wire harness for my new injectors giving me a check engine, just had to unplug them all and make sure they were seated tight when i plugged them back in and the code went away

·
Registered
My car
65 Posts
When you pulled the wire off the plug, did you hear or see spark to that cylinder? If you can't hear or see it, and if you have an inline spark checker, now would be the time to insert it between the plug wire and spark plug. If you don't have an inline spark checker, pull the wire out of the plug tube, insert a long screwdriver into the wire so it makes solid contact with the metal part in the wire (though not so much so that you bend or mis-shape it some how), have someone start the car up and put the exposed metal of the screwdriver near something metal that is grounded to the car to visually check for spark.

If you have a noid light, make sure you're getting a pulse to that injector. If you don't have a noid light, fab one up and check for a pulse to that injector.

If you have a mechanics stethoscope, you can listen to the injector as it fires to see if #3 sounds different than the rest. If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, get a long screwdriver, but the working end on the injector and the other end in your ear and see if you can tell a difference.

If all is well and you're getting both injector pulse and spark, check your compression.

Record your results and get back to us.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
interesting.

What all did the machine shop do? valve job as well?

most likely things are the plug, wire, valves ( do a valve lash?)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
The key to this is the location of the issue. You say #3, then move parts from #3 to #2 or #4. If the problem persists, you now know the system is outside of mechanical or hard parts. If the issue follows, then move one component at a time and this will eliminate the components one by one. Have fun :)

IMO, its probably a hard part and on the ignition side of things. Why? Cause its easy to pull a plug wire incorrectly or ruin a spark plug during removal, transport, storage, etc.

BTW: Once you establish you have a dead cylinder, moving from spark plug to injector clip isnt going to give you more info then you already have.

Edit: vac is "low" due to a cylinder not contributing to the whole. However, if you have a rather large gauge you can watch the needle jump around if you were having other issues.

·
Registered
82 Posts
what kind of injectors do you have?are they old? i have dsm 450cc in mine and i just had the same problem except in cylinder 2 i had spark, compression, plugs were solid. pulled the injector and had it checked it was toast. And my wide-band was reading way lean like 22.4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts