Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i have a d16y8 in my eg sedan. The motor in it before was a d15b. It red lined at 6500. My y8 supposedly has a red line of 7200, but when im driving, it red lines at 6500. Is my tach off? Do i need to have it tuned? Raise it in the ecu? The ecu i'm running is the factory one from the d15b. What is the deal? My vtec kicks in at 5600, then in like 1second i'm at 6500, and its time to shift. the extra 700rpm's isn't much, but its something. Help me out here.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
OK, i have a d16y8 in my eg sedan. The motor in it before was a d15b. It red lined at 6500. My y8 supposedly has a red line of 7200, but when im driving, it red lines at 6500. Is my tach off? Do i need to have it tuned? Raise it in the ecu? The ecu i'm running is the factory one from the d15b. What is the deal? My vtec kicks in at 5600, then in like 1second i'm at 6500, and its time to shift. the extra 700rpm's isn't much, but its something. Help me out here.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What ecu would I change it to? I got the one for the engine, but it won't plug into my harness.

I can just have a y8 map pit in my ecu? How do Ito about doing that?

·
noob
95 Civic Coupe
2,012 Posts
just find someone to chip the ecu you have now, and put the d16y8 map on it. Ya the stock y8 ecu is obd2 and will not plug into a obd1 harness.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

·
Registered
civic
2,211 Posts
yahh its not going to change if the computer doesnt tell it to. chip it, get a stock y8 map put on, and you will have your 7200 rpm! while there put in launch control, it helps if u go to the track

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So its cheaper, and i can definatly do the ecu chipping. That seams like the way to go unless the basemap i get from xenocron is no good. Plus my ecu will be chipped for further mods. I think im gonna go that way.

Can anybody else confirm that the xenocron basemap i can get with the chipping kit is no good?

·
noob
95 Civic Coupe
2,012 Posts
do you know of anyone that can chip your ecu? b/c its not a very easy task. Might be a good idea to send it to xenocron and have them do it.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,665 Posts
I ran my Y8 on a S300 with a Y8 basemap and it didn't suck.

I used that same basemap to street tune my D18 and that didn't suck but I didn't push it.

It's a good idea to just send your ECU to Chris at Xenocron and tell him what you're trying to do. I'm sure he could provide a decent basemap.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you know of anyone that can chip your ecu? b/c its not a very easy task. Might be a good idea to send it to xenocron and have them do it.
I read the DIY and looked at all the pics. I dont understand what is so hard about it. If you can solder then thats all there is to it. Now if you cant solder then i could see the problem.

PS: I manage a RadioShack, so I'm pretty familier with soldering and small electronic work. This will be cake for me.

I ran my Y8 on a S300 with a Y8 basemap and it didn't suck.

I used that same basemap to street tune my D18 and that didn't suck but I didn't push it.

It's a good idea to just send your ECU to Chris at Xenocron and tell him what you're trying to do. I'm sure he could provide a decent basemap.
The chipping kit im going to order from xenocron, i can pay an extra 14$ to get a y8 basemap installed. Thats the route im going to take.

what ecu is in there now?
The one that came in the car for the d15b. I'm gonna chip it and install the y8 basemap.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
It's probably because your T-stat is stuck open or you have an incorect T-stat installed. There is a lower rev limit (NOT the same thing as a red line) when the ECU doesn't "see" the engine as fully warm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts