Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents,
I am new to this page and have been researching these and other forums in hopes of getting some questions I have answered. I have a 1999 Civic EX with the SOHC VTEC (214K+ miles). It's leaking every fluid known to man, but has all the power and is a daily driver. I put a 1/2 qt of oil in her every other day or so and she just keeps on going. I don't wanna just replace seals because then I create new pressures and problems; looking for long term. So the first question is do I rebuild or do a used engine swap. I'm not looking to make a 400hp Honda, just a daily driver that can shift through the gears and be reliable. I do not want to do a "B" swap or anything of that nature.

So I been calling JDM and others and no one seems to have a VTEC 1.6 or can get me a rebuilt one for under $2100. That's crazy to me.

Local machine shop said they'd probably be able to do all the machining for $600-1k. I know I'd need gaskets, fluids, etc... What do you all think would be the final cost barring I do all disassembly / assembly?

Trying to weigh out the options here. I'm in the Detroit area. Shit, I might consider another engine if it's really going to be $2k.

Thoughts? Anyone ever rebuilt one? Help!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,097 Posts
buy jdm d16......swap your head over......profit?

I had my engine machined, and it was like 500$, for it to be fully assembled and blue printed, would have been another 700.....so if they know what theyre doing, why not?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking on eBay I can get an assembled d16 for $825.

You reccommend something like this and getting my head done at the local place?

Would it require a tune?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,097 Posts
Looking on eBay I can get an assembled d16 for $825.

You reccommend something like this and getting my head done at the local place?

Would it require a tune?
yes. a stock rebuild will require a tune.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
371 Posts
When I needed a replacement for the the Teg, I didn't bother looking for spare engines. Instead, I bought a whole car.

If the US market is anything like it is in the UK, you can pick up a decent auto-box Civic for little money. The likelihood is that the engine will not have been thrashed. In this way, I got a Z6 for approx $550 and got half of the money back on spares.
(I did put a new oil pump on it, though.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts