Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I'm new here and new to working on cars all together - but I'm an extremely fast learner.
I've always been fortunate to not even have to change my own oil or fix my own flats; having a love for engineering, the only thing I have never taken apart and or built is a car.

For fun I recently purchased a d16y8 to build and swap into my A to B 97' civic coupe (same motor, I know). I also know some out there will burn me for sticking with the D instead of swapping a B. It's for fun! I love upgrading and modifying things and even more, being innovative as an underdog.

Moving forward - I have a tendency of buying parts to modify whatever it is I'm working on, only to find out it's the wrong item or not good enough for what I want. So the following is a list of what I will be purchasing this week- please let me know if it will work out, and beyond that, if it will work out boosted. I'm not looking to make a "super fast, v-8 killing machine" Jokingly I tell my colleagues "It's my solution to stop showing up to work late every single day"

Here goes -

D16y8 Build:

Head - Port and Polish + valve seat smooth and lap :
y8 Manifold - Port to gsr TB
Valves - Ferrea (F5514/F5516 = 1.0mm oversized)
Valve stem seals - supertech
ARP Bolts
Gasket kit - cometic (2MM head? whats the math on the CR with the vitara pistons bump down to 8.5:1 CR??)

Block - Vitara pistons - low comp.
Sleeves - (no one really brings this up much) any suggestions?
Rods - eagle forged

Injectors - dsm 450cc but something tells me more like 720cc bosch ;)
Ignition - MSD distro cap/ blaster coil
Walboro 255 fuel pump

Valve Springs - Zex Comp Cams
Retainers - (are titanium really worth it? 4140 Chromoly has more tensile strength and being such a small piece, the weight difference is less than minute)

Cam - Zex 105300 - I've already ordered my valve springs, and I'm reading that I can't use the crower stage 2 without the crower springs - am I reading the information incorrectly? I would much rather use the crower cam being it looks to be getting more love from "voters"

Cam Gear - AEM

Brains - OBD1/hondata s300 or s200 (any suggestions? I'm still in my mechanical build train of thought)

Turbo charger - hmm... still on the engine build train of thought. 3076 sounds pretty good. Looking to get into the mid to 'teens of boost

**Well I think i've just about covered it all? I'm going by what I know I wrote down off the top of my head...
**I know some out there will ask "well what kind of power are you looking for" Lets flip that and ask "with what I've listed, what kind of power can I get? All while considering this will be a daily driver. I don't mind having to use 91 gas and constant oil changes yada yada.

**Constructive and on subject input please - The greatest thinkers were the askers of the simplest questions** Lest we forget our own level of knowledge before seeking the answers elsewhere.

**Please no response with "Go Read!" or "the answer is in the forum - go find it" or any related sort.
*** IMO, a person who asks a forum of supposedly knowledgeable members is far more intelligent than one who seeks the information alone - better known as "the hard way"

***One's success is limited only by his resources***

Thanks ahead!

·
Registered
841 Posts
No dont ask us what your setup will make hp/tq wise..we cant tell you that becuase we dont have dyno's in are head..you gotta set your own goal so you kno what to shoot for

1) Look into dif rods like fjdistro..great prices and greats rods

2) Dont worry about sleeves unless your wanting mad HP..but like you stated you dont want that..so no

3) Injectors 720's would be a better idea so you have some room to play with, other then bosch tho..check out precisions or rc's

4) You wanna match your cam with the right springs..look into the zex 59300..its an alll around good came for a turbo D and its a good price

5) s300 hands down

6) look into a basic greddy t3/t4 57 trim or 60 trim..great turbo for the price and it will get you the number that youd want for a build since you dont wanna be extremly up there

7) 93 pump is whats out here..and yes you'll have to maintain your vehicle and take care of it and look it over now and then if you want it to last

hope this helps alittle, seems like you got a brain for the most part unlike some noobs..gl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ej1 - thank you for your suggestions. I will be looking into those rods. Sensibly, I'll skip sleeving (how about a block guard as a precaution of chance?). I'll be shopping for RC injectors, and I'm going for the 59300. S300 = going for it, t3/t4 = more of what I'm looking for, output wise. Thank you sir, you've done more than just save me a buck.

Jrock - thank you for underlining the "too low" of compression. I'm not looking forward to any extra head work, so I'll scratch those pistons and look into a set that will keep me at stock compression or as close to, given to the rod sizes.

I'll post pictures as soon as I start the head build- about 1-2weeks (shipping/receiving time of the parts)

This will be interesting!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'd say skip the block guard, others will square by it.
Just keep the extra cash as a safety fund.
Why not run the FJT/vitara rod and piston combo?
As for the turbo, if you have the cash, a gt2871r is also nice too; great spool and gotta love the ball bearing.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
if it were me: skip the block guard, its completely unnecessary and can be detrimental. just post the block now if you think you want to shoot for more later on...or sleeve it if you got cash flow

FJ rods-supertech low comp pistons (cant be beat for the price)
ARP headstuds are an absolute must for boost. oem y8/z6 headgasket.
that would make for a very solid bottom end to build around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great advice!
eee-jay-ate, CustomY8, and d16 Devin - *in order*

-Block guard = scratched out of the build
-FJ rods/vit pistons = I checked them out - great price to start off. How do I beams fare as opposed to H?
-Turbo charger will be up in the air until it gets down to decision time.
-FPR, Adjustable = any suggestions as to which one? I'm sure this will take into play with tuning.
-ARP Studs = already on my list ;)
-Block sleeving = $ becomes the issue when I have to pay a shop to install + bore/hone (although useful) along with the turn around time.

**Question on the head work - I've read on opinions against multi-angle jobs when boosting, and to rather just smooth and lap... any takers on that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**With the low compression subject in the air - boost to balance it: what are key points on pulling it off? Skimming through some reading material, it sounds like it would give me low end power loss???

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ej1 - thank you for your suggestions. I will be looking into those rods. Sensibly, I'll skip sleeving (how about a block guard as a precaution of chance?). I'll be shopping for RC injectors, and I'm going for the 59300. S300 = going for it, t3/t4 = more of what I'm looking for, output wise. Thank you sir, you've done more than just save me a buck.

Jrock - thank you for underlining the "too low" of compression. I'm not looking forward to any extra head work, so I'll scratch those pistons and look into a set that will keep me at stock compression or as close to, given to the rod sizes.

I'll post pictures as soon as I start the head build- about 1-2weeks (shipping/receiving time of the parts)

This will be interesting!

glad i could help ya out..good luck

·
Registered
DOOKIE
604 Posts
All this good info , ilove it. Yes mos def the fj combo will be a way better and more efficient setup as far as response with better compression. Cool Good luck with ur build endeavors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All this good info , ilove it. Yes mos def the fj combo will be a way better and more efficient setup as far as response with better compression. Cool Good luck with ur build endeavors
Thank you- It is great to see solid info and advice - shows that the contributors know what they're talking about. Even more, I can trust that the information isn't just material out of a quick article read.

**it's not a question of If you can do the math... It's a question of what you can do With the math...

·
Registered
841 Posts
well im just glad that you took your time and did all the research you could for your self non like some of the lazy pricks that are on here and wanna be spoon fed all the time.

it gets old if you know what im saying..

but im glad that your not wasting are time and that your not asking dumb asss questions lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.