Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on rebuilding my D16y8 and I am planing on Porting and Polishing my head i was wondering if there was anything that i would watch out for or if you guys had any tips.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
Watch out for the angry panda that might jump out of the head and scratch out your eyes with bamboo splinters.

Shouldn't be anything "special" to watch out for, it's a strait-forward job.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I am working on rebuilding my D16y8 and I am planing on Porting and Polishing my head i was wondering if there was anything that i would watch out for or if you guys had any tips.
my tip, have someone who knows what they are doing do it. a poor port and polish can actually hinder a set up more than a stock head.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If its your first time porting a head, be careful of getting carried away. I would recommend gasket matching the ports and cleaning up the bowls. Remove any mismatched or dis-aligned areas and remove the steps in the bowl area. be carfeul and make sure you dont nick the valve seats. Dont hog the ports out. Wont do much for a under 170 whp..less than 8500 rpm motor. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
It's definitely a doable job if you read up on it and patiently take your time. Don't try to change the shape or flow characteristics of the bowls or ports. Just remove the casting marks and smooth out the corners. Leave the intake at 60 grit and polish the exhaust. More than likely you'll nick up the seats a bit. Have them re-cut when you are done.

Some reading to get you started.

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
One thing on D-series heads that I have heard mentioned by very relaible sources and practice on heads I port is to not mess w/ the short side radius on the intake bowls too much. From what my understanding is, is you do too much of anything on it, it hurts the swirl and velocity of the intake charge coming into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's definitely a doable job if you read up on it and patiently take your time. Don't try to change the shape or flow characteristics of the bowls or ports. Just remove the casting marks and smooth out the corners. Leave the intake at 60 grit and polish the exhaust. More than likely you'll nick up the seats a bit. Have them re-cut when you are done.
These are some safe tips. :TU:

·
Registered
873 Posts
...and don't touch the port floors.
in fact they need material ADDED. not removed.

in my Y8 head, i did a last minute decision to reduce the steep angle of the exhaust short turn radius. now i wish i never did.

leave the center dividers bull-nosed. do not make em sharp.

unshroud all the valves sitting next to the corners. I advice not to use a grinder here. I used small strips of sandpaper here. no stone or machine. just my fingers to be more deliberate.

remove all sharp edges in the chamber

IMO, i'd enjoy working on Y8 heads more coz i see it as having more places that need improvement compared to the better flowing Z6 ones.

I get to be more attentive and imaginative that way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I am getting some help from some one that has done a few in the past. I was just seeing if there was anything i should watch out for because of it haveinga v tech.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts