Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a mild build for my stock D16Y8, and I'd like to raise the the compression with inexpensive OEM style cast pistons. Does anyone have any experience or advice on using the NPR PG6 pistons in a D16Y8? I've searched old threads and I wasn't able to find a lot of information on this combination. From what I gathered, PM6 pistons won't give much of an increase, and P29 pistons seem to be a bad match for a Y8 head. I noticed the PG6 has 0.5mm more compression height than a stock Y8 piston, but I was thinking I could compensate for that with a .060" headgasket? If it can be relied on, one of the online compression calculators gives 11.45:1 with the thicker gasket which seems like a good target. Anything else I should know about how this piston works or doesn't work with a Y8 head? Thanks!

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
I can't speak to the D16Y8, but I do run the PG6 pistons in the D16A6 (which I believe has the same 29.5 compression height) in the Tape-R, which is an endurance race car.

Made 138whp, but I had to run E85.

I would make sure when you calculate your compression, you take into consideration the piston to cylinder head clearance.

I tell you this so you don't have figure out the hard way, like I did, that you get some nasty detonation with pump gas, ignition timing (which was conservative), and long periods of high load.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Ex
423 Posts
I've been doing thinking about doing the same built-in my Y8 also. I can't find any good Pistons besides what's on eBay. From what I've read you can use PG Pistons with a Y8 head. I don't think you need a thicker head gasket. I think boost Ben use those Pistons if I remember correctly. If you find any nice PG6 pistons let me know I have some 75.5 mm Z6 oem oversize pistons I've been holding on to for a turbo builds but if I could find some nice PG6 Pistons I'll use that for my all motor setup while I build my block from boost.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts