Honda D Series Forum banner

d16y8 parts info needed..

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bluecivic101 
#1 · (Edited)
d16y8 head gasket info..

so guys, it seems i got a small crack in my head gasket and im losing water a bit...

im looking to order a new gasket and have the head/block milled in case there was any warpage.. will know how much to be milled (shouldnt be more than .010 on either side id imagine?)
however i would like to also put back a 2 layer head gasket when fixin it up..

however......... i dont know the honda part number for the gasket... i was told this is an oem honda gasket, is this right? if yes.. anyone can share the part number with me? that'd b greatly appreciated...

also.. should i change anything else while im in there? this surely isnt a 'build' in any way (cant afford that yet) but i also want to know whats the thickest gasket i can get so i can run 11.0-11.2 compression using zc pistons? the thickest i've seen so far is a cometic .079.. what's thicker and where do i get it?

i think however, that i'd just go for a .010-.020 total milling with a 2 layer gasket- should get me to a decent 10.5:1 cr....

any thing else i should change once im in there? head studs maybe? motor wont ever see past stock redline as i dont expect to modify it further netime soon..

thanx for info.....

See less See more
#3 ·
^^ ive read that thread over and over already.. i know why you pointed me to it however i still need to have the main question answered.. (in bold above) since im not looking to spending that kinda cash on an aftermarket head gasket- then to get the zc pistons and new rings and all that- plus chip and tune to accomodate 11.2 comp.... not what im looking for!.

what i really want to know asap (please) is the part number for the oem 2 layer head gasket if this is actually a honda oem part... the gasket has to be ordered by 1pm tomorrow so i can have it landed by friday- to be installed saturday!

thanks..

#7 ·
There is no factory 2 layer. I run a 2 layer HG, and I merely purchased the y8 metal gasket, and removed the center layer. You have to pull out the 2 bronze rivet things, which can be done with any plier or anything, pull out the middle gasket and throw it on. I would use some sort of copper gasket spray on it. (I did, and have no issues at all)

It will be better to just mill more. removing the layer is only .012. You can have .020 milled from the head, and .010 milled from the block, and acheive the same thing, however you retain the middle layer which seems to help control coolant flow to the head.
When I move the the next stage of the build, I will return to a 3 layer, and mill my head further.
let me know if you have any other questions.

#9 ·
a HG part number... How is that helpful to him. We have to go out and research what the number you just posted is, and try to figure out if you posted a part number to a 2 layer metal gasket that none of us know about, or if you graced us with the pleasure of a y8 HG part number, which is pretty much a waste of effort, since anyone can find that...

Next time, elaborate son.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.