Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
d16y8+y7 dizzy+p28 ecu throwing code 9 (No.1 cylinder position sensor)

just got done putting a d16y8 in my 91 civic wagon and the car will bog only when you floor it other wise drives fine. code 9 which is No.1 cylinder position sensor. seems to be running lean.
p28 ecu obd0 to 1 jumper harness.
using a y7 dizzy spliced to obd1 then a conversion harness from obd1 to obd0.
also using stock a6 injectors with stock resistor box.
any advice appreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i followed the instructions in the manual. spun the engine over six times like it said and checked it and it looked good to go

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
check that the cylinder pos sensor + and - wires are not reversed i had the same thing happen as well. i switched them and it ran fine afterwards.

·
Registered
'89 CRX Si
469 Posts
How did you set the timing? DO NOT, use the crank timing marks. Pull the number one plug, use a long screwdriver or wooden dowel and set at tdc, align the cams timing marks, install the timing belt COUNTER clockwise, adjust tensioner, hand crank the engine to make sure there's no valve contact, and start.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
How did you set the timing? DO NOT, use the crank timing marks. Pull the number one plug, use a long screwdriver or wooden dowel and set at tdc, align the cams timing marks, install the timing belt COUNTER clockwise, adjust tensioner, hand crank the engine to make sure there's no valve contact, and start.
explain? hes talking about ignition timing anyway. though could be affected by cam timing but still.. why not use the crank timing marks? the tdc mark is to set the bottom end to TDC more accurate than a screw driver in the plug hole... why design a feature and not use it? the crank pulley tdc does nothing more than help you set the bottom end to tdc. has nothing to do with the cam or timing belt. the belt will affect timing if its too long or too short. cam gear will affect weather its offset or not compared to the cam and if the cam was installed incorrectly. bottom end will always be tdc when aligned with the timing mark. what changes is if a different cam gear is used or belt jumps thats out of wack but piston cant slide on its own to offset the timing.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The consensus is, your cam gear should match your ecu. If you are using the y8 engine(head and cam gear) you might want to switch to an obd1 cam gear. Then you could set your timing to the proper marks on crank.(should solve your bogging issue)

The ECU code might have something to do with the dizzy/wiring.

·
Registered
982 Posts
That is what I always thought too, and mechanically that makes sense to me. However, in doing my research for going from OBD2 to OBD1 on my Y8, the majority of the people report that timing of the Y8 on an OBD1 ECU is not jus a simple offset number. I may be wrong sincei haven't done it yet, but I will be converting my set up in the future so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
That is what I always thought too, and mechanically that makes sense to me. However, in doing my research for going from OBD2 to OBD1 on my Y8, the majority of the people report that timing of the Y8 on an OBD1 ECU is not jus a simple offset number. I may be wrong sincei haven't done it yet, but I will be converting my set up in the future so we'll see.
y8 on obd1 p28 stock map is off a little. if your using a y8 with obd1 ecu get obd1 ecu chipped with y8 basemap or tune it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
y8 on obd1 p28 stock map is off a little. if your using a y8 with obd1 ecu get obd1 ecu chipped with y8 basemap or tune it.
Like I said, from research I noticed others have had a hard time with timing a y8 when going OBD1. Your statement of "P28 stock map is off a little" can be misleading. Unless you have more experience with it than these guys:

Turbo D16 • View topic - Has anyone figured out timing on the Y8

Since I haven't done it yet, I can't comment. However, from what the OP posted, it sounds like his timing is off and it could be because of what the above link-people have mentioned.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,665 Posts
What do you mean by having a hard time? It sounds like people are having a hard time understanding the different values used to to time a Z6 vs a Y8. Or are they having detonation problems? My stroked and 78mm bored Y8 runs with a Y8 head and chipped P28 using Hondata S300. I have no timing issues.

·
Registered
982 Posts
It sounds like people are having a hard time understanding the different values used to to time a Z6 vs a Y8.
That is what I mean.
So let me rephrase what I stated:

The consensus is, your cam gear should match your ecu. (FOR SIMPLICITY)

i.e. If you are using the y8 engine(head and cam gear) you might want to switch to an obd1 cam gear.

Then you could set your timing to the proper marks on crank...

Like I said, from research I noticed others have had a hard time UNDERSTANDING timing on a y8 when going OBD1...
Myself included, so I'll just keep it simple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks you for all the comments i'm working on it today and i'll let you know if an obd1 cam gear will work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
switched to z6 cam gear and made sure the timing was right before and after. still throwing code 9 with new cam gear. went over dizzy conversion harness and good to go. next i'm switching to z6 dizzy and then check ecu conversion harness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dizzy wiring was wrong. runs better but still sluggish. only way to get any + timing is to advance dizzy all the way.

·
Registered
1998 Civic coupe ex
97 Posts
dizzy wiring was wrong. runs better but still sluggish. only way to get any + timing is to advance dizzy all the way.
or adjust your timing map for you ecu . its what we did on a friends integra but thats just us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts