Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will be needing to replace stock motor in my 91 wagon soon. whats the better platform ? i am looking for 200whp. nothing crazy just my dd want to keep it n/a. also would like to stay single cam for the tourque. but v-tec or not to v-tec? that is the question. i thought i read on a forum somewhere the y series blcks are prone to failure? is this just with boosting ar just untrue? any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
will be needing to replace stock motor in my 91 wagon soon. whats the better platform ? i am looking for 200whp. nothing crazy just my dd want to keep it n/a any advice is appreciated.
200whp NA lol good luck.
also would like to stay single cam for the tourque.
:3dtard:
.but v-tec or not to v-tec?
VTEC
that is the question.

i thought i read on a forum somewhere the y series blcks are prone to failure? is this just with boosting ar just untrue?
All blocks are prone to failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i see no one offered up the y8 as an option guess its the venerable z6. now all i have to do is hunt down a decent one. is 200whp a pipe dream? at least close to that i want to double the hp thats in my wagon now.on a side note i was reading through a itb build thread. how much realistic power can one get from that setup? over a cold air?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I love the z6 for DD 200WHP is unrealistic without a turbo. In your case you'd have to run insane compression and a huge cam but you would have no gas mileage and no bottom end at all. totally not worth it. with a z6 you can run around 140-160whp with the right parts and an excellent tune. check the stickies to get as much info about N/A builds as possible. ITB's are awesome for throttle response and they can make great power.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Z6 ftw, i've heard the oil flows better in it. anyways, u must be god to get 200 N/A whp, like everyone has said. Just go turbo, ull keep good gas milage, if the parts are name brand, itll last, and u get a cool BOV sound!

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
i see no one offered up the y8 as an option guess its the venerable z6. now all i have to do is hunt down a decent one. is 200whp a pipe dream? at least close to that i want to double the hp thats in my wagon now.on a side note i was reading through a itb build thread. how much realistic power can one get from that setup? over a cold air?
200 WHP isn't a pipe dream. It's very doable, just not with a NA Z6. You'll be doing good to get 130-140 ish...

Unless you just want to do an ITB it's not very cost efficient as far as power goes. Not to mention ITB's and ITB filters typically let more garbage into the cylinders...

If you want to stay SOHC and have 200whp, TURBO. If you want to stay NA and have 200whp, B18C5. If you want to stay NA and SOHC, deal with lower HP.

Oh, and keep searching. This place is FULL of great info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thanks guys! so what d series would give me the most n/a hp without boost? i guess i dont have to stay w/ sohc. but i do want n/a. would i be better off dohc w/ vtec? any one know if the d17 is worth building?

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
Hands down, D16Z6 for N/A or Boost.

200whp when boosted on a stock internal Z6 is very doable and can be very reliable. It's all in the tune. :yes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought a D16z6 in perfect condition for 300$. i threw some eagle rods and vitara pistons in it. hoping to boost it soon

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts

1 - 20 of 34 Posts