Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how much power can the OEM d16y8 retainers handle? When I upgrade the cam, I plan on upgrading the valve springs and raise the rev a bit.... but do I need to upgrade the retainers as well... power goals are around 350whp...... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
It's kinda a mixed bag of opinions on retainers...but personally I'm running titanium for the added weight savings to help with valve float.

But to answer your question...you WILL be fine with OEM retainers at your WHP goal there.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone else? ha thanks for the comment tho.... im thinking about changing the rev to 8250.... nothing higher..... from 7500

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
ive been revving mine to 9200 with the comp 59500 cam and matching springs with stock retainers... the retainers are the least of your worry.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive been revving mine to 9200 with the comp 59500 cam and matching springs with stock retainers... the retainers are the least of your worry.
9200?!? holy shit.... I didnt know our D's could even rev that high.... I was thinking about 8500, now I think I just may :yes:

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Stock y8 and z6 retainers are plenty strong and only weigh 6.4 grams, you'll be fine with them.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Stock retainers are more than fine. Titanium retainers will wear faster than stockers, but still nothing unreasonable on our little SOHC motors. I would guesstimate that the titanium ones would wear out between 50-75K whereas the stockers have been proven to go more than 200K on the odometer.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Good thread! Im glad I read this. Thanks for the info.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
to reiterate what has been said and to assure everyone else, i am using stock z6 retainers (same as y8 ones) and i take my engine to 9000rpm. im using zex springs with them, same setup as boostfreak (thanks for the inspiration).

they will be fine. its not "power" that breaks retainers its RPM or frequency/resonance/float smash crash... haha

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to reiterate what has been said and to assure everyone else, i am using stock z6 retainers (same as y8 ones) and i take my engine to 9000rpm. im using zex springs with them, same setup as boostfreak (thanks for the inspiration).

they will be fine. its not "power" that breaks retainers its RPM or frequency/resonance/float smash crash... haha
awesome.... thanks brotha

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Ok, but if I plan to rev to 9k, it seems that thats a safe RPM. Right? Also, spring recommendations? I had planned on Supertech springs/retainers, but now that I hear this, and they dont sell springs alone (or I cant find any through Google or eBay)...

Sorry for the thread jack OP. I assumed we were probably at the same point, and this is kinda on topic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts