Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sounds like improper valve lash settings. Get a feeler gauge and check it. Buy a helms manual or look online.
already adjusted valve lash twice (first time to .007 and .009) and the second time to .006 and .008 .. it did sound better once on the lower setting but still isnt perfect (is it just because of the agressive cam and im not used to the sound?)

·
Registered
131 Posts
explain your reasoning ?
Don't take it personally, I myself have done it and the valve noise quieted down. I adjusted it again and it was later fine. You stated it got quieter. So my assumption based on what I experienced is the same as u. Adjustments aren't always accurate if the engine has a lot of miles or the angle on the feeled guage isnt level with the top of the valve.

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Don't take it personally, I myself have done it and the valve noise quieted down. I adjusted it again and it was later fine. You stated it got quieter. So my assumption based on what I experienced is the same as u. Adjustments aren't always accurate if the engine has a lot of miles or the angle on the feeled guage isnt level with the top of the valve.
ya im hoping its just the valve lash and nothing drastic

PS 170 kms on it and still running smooth

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Spring still strong or is it weak or broken.
still strong, they have only about 600 kms on em and could that be a reason im hearing this ? i think its OK now but it has an odd fluttering noise when pushing it through 3000-3200 revs .. i think it could be i dont have the timing right but im really not sure (no noises when idling or revving higher like that one)

also it seems to be exploding alot of gas in the exhaust would this be:

a) a timing problem

b) the fuel maps being to rich

or

c) something mechanical im unaware of

(i have some ideas about all of this stuff and im not overly worried i was just looking for some second opinions)

again i have a D15 block with a p2j-1 3 stage vtec head customized to become a p2j-4 y8 head

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update on na build

Just an update here for everybody. The car ended up having no issue (Danz was most correct). However the head gasket did go after 8000 km due to the head being warped. Thats all cleared up and a couple weeks latter it was sputtering and only running on 3 cylinders so I created a DIY thread on how to replace a distributor cap as I havent seen one around (at least not easily)

HERE is the link to said thread and please leave feedback so when I create more complex posts I will have notes to improve off of

Also id just like to thank everyone for their opinions on the problems and will be repping all of you for helping me sort out the "problem" :p

Thanks again and there's more to come ( I just bought a wideban, demon and neptune hehehe :) )

21 - 33 of 33 Posts