Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i begin going into the details of my current project i will first tell you what i have already done to the car:

Before all mods commenced last year the cat was replaced as it was so full of carbon build up the engine wouldnt run.
.. please express your simpathy not remarks :(

Then modifications closely following were...
CAI (K&N typhoon)
Ebay headers (the cheap 40$ ones ... seem to be just OK this far)
Magnaflow Catback

Thats the basics of what i have done to the engine... just piping.

This season i have order a crower stage 2 camshaft, and crower titanium valve springs with chromoly retainers.
I was well aware i needed a new ecu to provide the different maps inorder to run this higher profile cam so i decided to go with these guys from Speed Inovations.
The advantage to these guys (and i know im going to get controversial feedback on this) is that they will tune the computer for you according to their previous experiences of specific tunes. (IE you tell them all the specs of your engine and all of your modifications they will set it up so its ready to go)

HONDA CIVIC 96-00 EX D16Y8 VTEC CHIPPED OBD1 P28 ECU - eBay (item 190356688736 end time Apr-02-11 22:57:58 PDT)

Here is a number of questions i have just to make myself more knowledgeable in different aspects as i am new to this.

In regards to the ECU
-Who else would trust or have heard anything about this sort of ecu setup and would you recomend getting it dynoed?
Also how much have people spent on tuning by dyno (is it relatively expensive ?)
PS the spec i asked for were as follows​
-Vtec 4500​
-Rev limit 8000​
-2-step launch control @ 4000​
and specs to match my setup prior the camshaft/springs installation
In regards to the camshaft installation,
What hiccups am i likely to undergo (i have heard you must first take of a smal portion of the block close to the timing belt from
video @ 0-30 seconds in *mind you it is a b series*)
This camshaft installation to me seems quite basic and i am planing on ONLY changing the cam and springs, what other items (bearings / rockers) may i need to replace and should i purchase any specific installation tools ie installation lube .. *other than a valve spring compressor*
How fragile are these components/am I in need of calling up a friend mechanic to assist me or is it not necessary?

I do intend on adjusting the valve lash after all is done and i know to turn the engine to tdc and make sure the cam gear is lined up as it was before but what i am unaware of is how to attach the cam to the cam gear properly ( i am using a stock cam gear for this cam )

Any advice is apreaciated !!

Also does anyone have any good ideas on what my next stage on a stok internal d16y8 build should be? I was thinking on the lines of a port and polish and new fuel management.

Excited to see some keen N/A tuners comments!

Thanks in advance guys,
Kevin

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would go with Phereable.net for a chipped ecu. It's a lot cheaper, and I've never heard any negative feedback about the site.

Also, I'd suggest calling your buddy over to help you with your valve springs and cam installation. And go with an aftermarket cam gear, it will be best.

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part are ariving soon ill do a walk through of the build once i start up on it:

THUS FAR

i have ordered the crower stage 2 camshaft for the Y8 head and titanium valve springs (w. chromoly retainers) both from JEGS.com
**On a side note the camshaft is double backordered so its going to be another month :dots: **

Also i ended up getting an aftermarket cam gear ... the cheapest one on ebay **cross fingers** ..hoping the ebay gods are with me 88-00 CRX CIVIC D15/D16 SOHC ENGINE ADJUSTABLE CAM GEAR on eBay.ca (item 260753536765 end time 23-Mar-11 12:05:39 EDT)

The ECU ordered from Speed Inovation came in yesterday and warranty is voided if i open it so i am a hoping the tune they did for me pre-hand is good.
I did have my doubts but after a couple days of trying to contact them they assured me it will work best with this camshaft and mods as i described.
One thing that did irritate me was the understandable fine print in the ads on thier ebay store saying that this ecu is for off road purposes only and on the ecu itself it had a HUGE stick saying for off road use only but again the customer service representitive i spoke to hinted to me that "they have to put it on" (PFEW never jump to conclusions haha)

If anyone is doing a build on a budget i would (so far) recommend these dealers in computers as it MAY be fine with out a tune after .. they do also do forced induction but thats a whole other story

PS LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING SOME INPUT!!

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
If your swapping out your cam for a stage2 your going to want a tune?

I don't care what some company slams into a basemap if you want the most performance/reliability out of your cam your and have proper A/F ratios your going to need a tune.

·
Registered
89 hatch
52 Posts
there base map will just run rich to be safe.. may even smoke some. real tune will get you right where u want it.

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the responses guys ill probably have to get it tuned after all but im hoping that the basemap will be good enough for now

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys just an update here.

Ive installed the cam and springs without taking the head off (using an air compressor) Did it all in a day and i thought everything was going to work out but the engine stalls out if you dont give it any gas.

Im going to bring it to a tuning shop tomorrow hopefully and get it all sorted out.

If anyone has any ideas as to what went wrong feel free to judge :p

I have been running the computer ordered from speed inovations and its been really good for the most part so i expected the cam install to go by smooth but its just cutting out (the engine does run smoother if i advance the spark but it still cuts out).. i did have the crank set at the mark and the cam was at tdc in doing so. could it be i just need to advance or retard the timing you think ??

More Later
Kevin

·
Registered
91 civic hatch
167 Posts
Dude don't tell me u used an air gun to put ur cam back together?! Its gotta be torqued to specs and did u use a cam gear?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I would think he meant using an air compressor to keep the valves from dropping when pulling the springs. That is my least favorite method of keeping valves in place.

As for the rest of it . . . I'm not going to speculate as to what is going on.

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
brining it in today or tomorrow so im hoping its basic like timing or fuel maps

just to try it out i put the old computer back in it and it ran the same as the new one but (because with the more intense fuel map) without the gas exploding in the exhaust as much (i expected this)

Yes :dots: i used an air gun to toque .........
NOT A CHANCE .. i have casual ocd the toques are PERFECT to say the least .. as well is the valve lash

I used an adjustable cam gear but havent fiddled with its settings. Im only 70% sure thats its on tdc exactly but 100% sure its within 2 teeth at most.

If the cam gear was in fact 2 teeth or 1 tooth off would this still happen?

symptoms: (the car will still run it just lacks idle and is down on power)

Extremely lopy idel (around 200-500 at most) when it does idel that is
Down on power
engine appears to not be knocking or tappet
You can drive the car as long as you dont let it stall (keeping your foot on the pedal as your stopped)

Thanks for the feedback guys keepr comin :p

PS @acid beaver i do have an obdI conversion cause i have a odb2 as standard :bigok:

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the reply

bad that it may be 5 degrees off ...
im sending it in to the shop tomorrow so im hoping they'll figure it all out

I tried using my dads timing light but it was to weak and i couldn't do anything with it .. im sure they'll take care of everything (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
(in the shop .. he's going to time it and stuff)
(replace water pump and timing belt as well)
DONE by 3-4 tomorrow hopefully

Then im going to get it tuned!!!!

to all you people i was bailing out on its going to get a proper ecu tune so ill post my finished video on youtube and post pics once its all said and done (ill even make a little story eh (translation to american = for y'all)

More later

Kevin

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another update .. car was running well during the tune but last pull ...

SPUN ROD BEARING

cock sucker ..

so right now im in the middle of swaping my engine with a d15b which i have customized to have the 2 stage vtec instead of the 3 stage by switching out the intake rockerarms and filling in the hole where the 2nd vtec solenoid pressures to

(still using the titanium valve springs and stage 2 crower cam)

anyone think the car will idle with the tune i got on it right now

PS engine HOPEFULLY going in today assuming i can get the damn hub nut off :/

·
Registered
Civic EX 1999 2dr
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SO heres the stats on the engine that i just got running . its a d15b with the p2j-1 head (3 stage VTEC) which i have swapped out the intake rocker arms to become a NORMAL VTEC from my old d16y8 head (p2j-4) .. plugged the extra VTEC oil pressure hole in at the solenoid then plugged the stupid air breathers for the injectors with the commonly used JB weld.

using a crower Stage 2 cam for a d16y8
also titanium valve springs
the valve lash was adjusted according to the d16y8 instructions 0.007 and 0.009.

Car started up no problem at all .. BUT ..

there is a slight valve tap when you hold a screw driver to the front 3 valve cover bolts (sounds like on tap per rev)

any ideas ? im eager to get that fixed then go get it tuned again

1 - 20 of 33 Posts