Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hearing tapping sounds from under the valve cover and have already done valve adjustments, is there a way to check out the LMA’s to see if they spring back correctly and correct amount? Can I put them in a bucket of Berryman Chem-dip and soak in oil to get life back in them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have the motion assembly apart and the LMA’s are soaking in Dip now, will soak in oil after cleaning.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,296 Posts
could be the injectors

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It was definitely coming from under the valve cover. Anyone want to respond to the questions on LMA’s? If they’re bad does anyone know of a after market manufacture for the D series, I’ve looked but can only find them for a B series.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,709 Posts
No aftermarket LMAs that I know of.

The LMAs should be even when pushing in, in terms of force. You'll know if one is weak versus the others.

No real good way of testing these, outside of the obvious techniques. You could put in a pot of boiling water and pull out, then using gloves while they are still hot, press them down to make sure the tips dont stick in the LMA case bores, or if springs seem to get weaker.

Another way is to temporarily eliminate LMAs and VTEC for testing, it's a lot harder of a test to setup.

If the noticible tapping happens at idle, you could also pull valve cover and build makeshift cardboard oil deflector walls and run engine with valve cover off, then use a stethoscope directly on the LMAs to see if one of them is the source of your noise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No aftermarket LMAs that I know of.

The LMAs should be even when pushing in, in terms of force. You'll know if one is weak versus the others.

No real good way of testing these, outside of the obvious techniques. You could put in a pot of boiling water and pull out, then using gloves while they are still hot, press them down to make sure the tips dont stick in the LMA case bores, or if springs seem to get weaker.

Another way is to temporarily eliminate LMAs and VTEC for testing, it's a lot harder of a test to setup.

If the noticible tapping happens at idle, you could also pull valve cover and build makeshift cardboard oil deflector walls and run engine with valve cover off, then use a stethoscope directly on the LMAs to see if one of them is the source of your noise.
Thanks for your suggestions, I soaked the in chem dip and then oil for hours, I exercised the springs while in the oil bath and the seemed to work fine. I installed them back today and tested them and the tapping noise was gone. The head i recently purchased for a mini me project and the head had been sitting for awhile.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,997 Posts
I somehow doubt soaking them in magic would change anything unless they were real sticky you know what I mean...maybe it had a loose cam cap before?
mustve been those 20 finger sqeezes.;)
hey whatever works?....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you may be right that the head LMA’s were sticky because of the head sitting and got gummed up so the cleaning helped to work it out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts