Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im new to the forum, i need some help with the noise my d16y8 that is literally driving me crazy.

Video with the noise

Ok, so long story short, the engine started making a noise that seemed like one of the bearings was bad, so instantly i turned off the car thinking it was rodnock, so i opened it up, the bearings werent that bad, the crankshaft was still usable and didnt have any scorings or marks. So i put new rod bearings in it, start the car and the noise was gone, ok, i drove de car 1km, let it iddle again and boom, the same noise but this time i didnt turn the car off instead i gave it gas to see if the noise increases or gains speed but no, it didnt do any of that, the noise disappeared and the engine was running perfect, i started the car quite a few times now and drove a little and didnt heard the noise again, but it will come back any time. Any idea?

Pd: it doesnt seem like the noise is coming from the bottom of the engine but from the top, doesnt have a deep tone, it has a higher/mid pitch tone

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Is it automatic? Flex plate cracked/broken? Maybe something in the flywheel housing?

Use a stethoscope to narrow down the location of the knocking, that shit is high pitch and very in your face, you should be able to find it.

Since you say the noise goes away when you rev it up, it wouldn't be bearings unless you have zero oil pressure at idle...

Have you checked oil pressure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its manual, checked all the heat shields, checked for cracks in the exhaust, something that was loose, but i didnt find nothing weird

I dont have the oil pressure light on, when i did the rodbearings before i started the engine i did make sure to crank the engine a few times till the oil pressure light was off, all is working fine, except the noises, i dont know what to think at this point

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
what does the valve lash adjustment look like? Check it out, make sure its up to spec.

Otherwise, since the video shows it is a manual (clutch reservoir shown), I think we recently had a user who found it to be a noise from something accidentally shimmed near the clutch. You might wanna check other recent threads for knocking or rattling noises, I think it was just last week or week prior

Reactions: EFB055

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do the valve lash adjustment this week

Today started knocking for a second when i started the car, i dont know what to think

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,744 Posts
piston slap?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
You need to do an oil presure test. That thing sounded terrible on startup, and sounded like it dragged on. But it still sounded like the starter and battery had plenty of power.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,578 Posts
Other than some mount rattle at startup I heard nothing really wrong. Valve lash might need adjusted but it could also just be the injectors.

When I had Ford injectors in my D16Z6 everyone the valve lash was off. Well, it was at .004/.005 :)

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Other than some mount rattle at startup I heard nothing really wrong. Valve lash might need adjusted but it could also just be the injectors.

When I had Ford injectors in my D16Z6 everyone the valve lash was off. Well, it was at .004/.005 :)
I was kinda listening to the deep rumbling that is hard to hear. I only noticed it since I have a subwoofer on my computer's audio setup.

Maybe its just a choice small exhaust leak that clears up quickly with heat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello, im new to the forum, i need some help with the noise my d16y8 that is literally driving me crazy.

Video with the noise

Ok, so long story short, the engine started making a noise that seemed like one of the bearings was bad, so instantly i turned off the car thinking it was rodnock, so i opened it up, the bearings werent that bad, the crankshaft was still usable and didnt have any scorings or marks. So i put new rod bearings in it, start the car and the noise was gone, ok, i drove de car 1km, let it iddle again and boom, the same noise but this time i didnt turn the car off instead i gave it gas to see if the noise increases or gains speed but no, it didnt do any of that, the noise disappeared and the engine was running perfect, i started the car quite a few times now and drove a little and didnt heard the noise again, but it will come back any time. Any idea?

Pd: it doesnt seem like the noise is coming from the bottom of the engine but from the top, doesnt have a deep tone, it has a higher/mid pitch tone
Thats a connecting rod knocking.that means your connecting rod bearing need replacement.it might not be all of them but just replace all of them if you have the money to buy them. You can get on Amazon,ebay or this hondas website (honda parts now and majestic honda).
I have a noise simulator to that but it in and out when i press the gas and decelerate.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Video with the noise

This maybe your problem.
Check out this video

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
39 Posts
Next time it happens touch the timing cover, ive heard that sound from bad tensioner pulleys on occasion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts