Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been research a decent bit on this topic. I'm planning on just swapping the manifold and using the D17 TB, Fuel Rail, Injectors, and all that for the time being and also not having an EGR is a plus for this. However I am concerned with the tune I will need after the swap. I currently have an Apexi AFC Neo hooked up to run the vtec on my a2 headswap, however Im wondering with a wideband is it possible to tune the intake manifold to run a normal idle or do i need to switch to e-manage or K-Pro? I read in a write up on another forum that a guy did it using a apexi safc2 but just wondering if anyone else had experience with this. Thanks in advance for the inputs.

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
1997 Honda Ballade
580 Posts
I had a D17a5 and also looked into this.

I used a Apexi VAFC2 which most will tell you to throw away.
apparently "subtracting" fuel will advance timing and "adding" fuel will reduce timing. I stand to be corrected on this. But that's why they will tell you to throw it away. For a slight adjustment its works ok (not for performance) and haven't had any issues.

I was not able to fit a y8 intake manifold as my firewall to close? (Sedan thing I think, I dunno?)

Its also pointless you will gain like 1hp. Good for turbo though as compressing the plastic one will crack.

Tuning with a Apexi VAFC2 or Apexi safc2 with the closed loops ECU I hear is also pointless as the ECU will self correct and will return to normal.
2001 - 2003 had open loop ECUs? (South Afican thing? I dunno) (2004-2005 had closed loop ECU? I dunno?)

I found the best mod I did was to fit a 57mm down pipe as stated by Speedfoos on the 7th Gen Honda Forum.

Everything here I have found on google/D-seris.org and 7th Gen Honda Forum. So I stand to be corrected.

If its performance you seek. Go turbo or K-swap.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Civic EX
58 Posts
I ran 10psi on the stock intake for almost year of daily driving and never had an issue or worried about it. I did switch to the D16Y8 intake when I found one for cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@BeerDrinkin Thanks, I actually have been through that thread a few times. He never really went through his tune he had with it. Just wondering if the idle became an issue with this swap or not. I know that the flow is better on the y8 however people seem to use the stock TB and ICV so I wasn't sure if it would change the idle a whole lot or not.

·
Registered
397 Posts
LOL. Around $2K spent and 5hp gained.
I seen on other thread that there is a new released LSD for the D17. Would like to see anyone that has a D17 with good power on it. Even 400 whp on turbo or something.

Have a 01 civic since 2003 and haven't seen any D17 that really produce any kind of power the one needed to go the supermarket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts