Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 civic coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SO Im building my coupe, and its a D16y8, and iv started tearing down the spare motor and getting it ready for the machine shop, but i dont know about alot of things and i dont wanna get ripped off and i wanna make sure i tell the guy doing the work just what i want, so i wanted to know if anyone else has built this motor before, im not going turbo right away, just insides top and bottom, and normal bolt ons, then after i get use to the added power and get more money ill add a turbo.

plus i wanted to know about ITB.s individual throttle body's
whats the point? added power? whats needed? down side? upside? how hard is it? does it hurt the motor? anyone done this?
and finally
whats the best cloth to use to do the doors, headliner, and what not in the car? i wanna do something with pink, but my first attempt didn't work out so well, it looks like crap and i think it has to do with the cloth.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Lots of people have built y8s, If you search around this forum you can find lots of info and builds.

The main issue that has to be addressed is the oiling system, which will starve the engine at high RPM and cause spun rod bearings.
If you keep the redline down its not a problem, but from what I understand porting the oil pump will help dramatically (although its not really curing the issue).

IRTBs basically have the advantage of good throttle response. Honestly, a good manifold will likely make just as much if not more power than individual throttles.
Also, theyre kinda difficult to tune well for street use, and they require constant adjusting both mechanically and with tuning.
Its not something I would want to bother with on a street car. Most people just do it for looks.

·
Registered
93 Camaro (backup)
491 Posts
You might be hot! But that wont get you far in the D if you don't search!
You are the search NAZI! :yes: <3

Yea, there is a TON of useful info on here. Just go through the stickies and there is a treasure trove of info in there.
If you were going to start building now I would start at the top and do the head first if you were going to stay NA for a while. I wouldn't even start on the bottom until I had my turbo kit together if I were you. Kinda pointless to put forged internals in there for stock power, plus low compression with no turbo would suck if you drop it low enough. :p

Edit: P.S.
Need moar pics....

·
Premium Member
96 Honda Civic
985 Posts
You are the search NAZI! :yes: <3

Yea, there is a TON of useful info on here. Just go through the stickies and there is a treasure trove of info in there.
If you were going to start building now I would start at the top and do the head first if you were going to stay NA for a while. I wouldn't even start on the bottom until I had my turbo kit together if I were you. Kinda pointless to put forged internals in there for stock power, plus low compression with no turbo would suck if you drop it low enough. :p

Edit: P.S.
Need moar pics....
LMFAO! We just need to research before asking about something that you don't know about so you know if they are bullshitting you. I will help when she knows what she wants. Like Dave_p said dont build the bottom until you know what turbo you want.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
easy Boys! Don't want to scare her away now.

If she needs help, link her to it. And while you guys help her with the rebuild, I will help her with interior.

If there's a fabric store like Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores, you can choose on many different type of material there. I went with Black Vinyl. But you have to use some good adhesive glue to make it work. What did you do or use the first time?

·
Premium Member
96 Honda Civic
985 Posts
easy Boys! Don't want to scare her away now.

If she needs help, link her to it. And while you guys help her with the rebuild, I will help her with interior.

If there's a fabric store like Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores, you can choose on many different type of material there. I went with Black Vinyl. But you have to use some good adhesive glue to make it work. What did you do or use the first time?
Ummm... her interior, why do you get all the fun!:bigok:

·
Premium Member
96 Honda Civic
985 Posts

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
If you plan on going turbo, skip the ITBs. They are going to be a royal pain in the ass when plumbing your charge pipes, plus they are a bitch to tune.

Don't spend too much money on modifications that will not work with your turbo setup either. Header, CAI, n/a exhaust, etc. will all be junked in favor of a turbo system. Spend money on parts that will be compatible later...clutch, cam(if needed), rebuild or forged internals, etc.

·
Registered
99 civic coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW i couldnt believe how many people replied to this so fast! im still having a hard time finding my way around this site! ha! such a pain:censored:

Umm okay lets see here...

This is what i have so far. but please be nice! i don't know everything but i do know a little bit!
so i'm working with a 1999 Honda EX Coupe.

i'm a girl so i did the pretty stuff first,
i got a set of JDM type headlights with yellow bulbs, but i haven't put them on yet.
a set of JDM type yellow Fog Lights,
a Mugen type front Lip
17inch gunmetal rims. with chrome lip
DC Sport Heads, some junk muffler that im changing out with a full racing catback just need more green first.
Cold Air Intake, and Skunk-2 Intake Manifold.
JDM strut bar, and i painted my motor cover red, but i'm going pink soon!
and i tried to do the door panels, and what not in the car in black with pink pokadots, but i failed, it looks like crap. i think its the cloth i used.

so thats what im working with BOYS! but i need help, and i don't mean that kind of help either for you sick little ones out there. i don't have alot of money to spend so i cant get all the high end parts everyone sits around dreaming about,
BUT LIKE I SAID!! i am going to build it, and i am going to put a turbo kit on it. im not out racing or anything, but i like to pull away from people and go around slow drivers with the quickness. so anything is worth me reading, and i have read alot on peoples set ups but i want to know what works best. inside, outside, underneath, and i love reading those DIY;s because i love working on my car! and what i can do myself id rather do! lately i have been replacing sensor after sensor witch really sucks! and now i have to replace my crankpully sensor! grrrr. so anyways thanks again! everyone!

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    29.1 KB Views: 1,197

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
If you plan on going turbo, skip the ITBs. They are going to be a royal pain in the ass when plumbing your charge pipes, plus they are a bitch to tune.

Don't spend too much money on modifications that will not work with your turbo setup either. Header, CAI, n/a exhaust, etc. will all be junked in favor of a turbo system. Spend money on parts that will be compatible later...clutch, cam(if needed), rebuild or forged internals, etc.
Everything this man said.

Ya'll mofuggahs and your leg humping make me LOL.

·
Registered
99 civic coupe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay so im pretty sure my Skunk-2 Intake Manifold is good right?, my cold air intake is kinda cheap tho i think its a injein or something like that. and my DC sport heads are good, but i know ill have to change that once i go turbo.
so should i go turbo right away? or wait like i was planing...

oh and what about brakes? i have those big ass round brakes that look like there off of a truck! on the back! drums or something like that. how can i make them like the other brakes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
personally i believe itb's on a d16 is more for just a wow factor than actual power. If you want to make real power boost it. There is always the option to do a itb/turbo set up but I dont recommend it for a beginner :p. What parts are you using for the build?

P.S. go with the custom length fj rods and vitara pistons for your bottom end ;) thats the set up i am doing and will be pushing 400hp

1 - 20 of 30 Posts