Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to be build the bottom end but what about the top end? Is it needed? I know I’ll make power easier with a cam but how good are the stock springs? I’ve searched but searching on mobile is a pain.

What kind of rpms can you push out a built d16y8 for a turbo build?

I want to do this right the first time, I’d like to keep the head updates under $600 but will stretch it but I don’t want to lol. I have a lot to upgrade along with a auto to manual trans swap.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
with stock cam and an EXTRA set of intake springs used as exhaust springs, 7500 rpms is pretty safe.

Supertech offers a fair priced set of springs that could potentially allow upwards of 8500 rpms, but then you have other things to worry about, such as oil frothing/aerating that happen if the oil pump is not ported and smoothed out with some devcron

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
1,831 Posts
If I was building the head id find a cam, a set of aftermarket valve springs and a adjustable cam gear that is properly marked for the y8

You can use oem retainers, valves and rockers.

And for the bottom end if going turbo, id buy rods, pistons and bearing, port the oil pump your self and then start building the motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered a few tools for engine building, I plan on tearing into my extra motor on Monday. I do plan on doing a good build but I also seen a short block for sale. I’ll post it up and ask everyone’s opinion on the setup and price. Thanks for the information guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts