Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing a mini me build using a d16y8 head and a d15b2 block. I am using a p28 ecu but will it work with the stock wiring harness from a 1991 Honda Civic wagon??

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,873 Posts
with the amount of effort you put into this. the answer is

·
Premium Member
1991 Civic Hatchback d15b1
16 Posts
That year y8? 1998-99 has air injection to the injectors. I used a Z6 head.

I just got done doing my mini me. If you have questions just ask. My Dad has a 1999 y8 and the head and intake are a little different.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
That year y8? 1998-99 has air injection to the injectors. I used a Z6 head.

I just got done doing my mini me. If you have questions just ask. My Dad has a 1999 y8 and the head and intake are a little different.
99-00 are the air injection years. Also referred to as OBD2B, rather than OBD2a 96-98

I am planning on doing a mini me build using a d16y8 head and a d15b2 block. I am using a p28 ecu but will it work with the stock wiring harness from a 1991 Honda Civic wagon??
1991 is part of the OBD0 years. P28 refers to OBD1.

I suggest some research on OBD0 to OBD1 conversions.

Even with stock parts, the OBD1 setup runs smoother, warms up faster, gets better fuel economy, and makes more potential power.

You can get away with locking vtec and treating it like a hopped up d15b2, the stock tiny intake will run it, it will get damn good fuel economy, but it WILL suffer in the high rpms since the d16y8 camshaft wants more airflow than the d15b2 intake can provide.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I used a dpgi to mpfi conversion harness for HAMotorsports. It also converted obd0 to obd1. Like others were saying go obd1 for power performance. Im using a p28 and went with Moates Demon2 RTP. I also had HAmotorsports build me a base map. I can't tell you what is best but I will tell you what has worked for me. What was a little tricky was the timing. With a Z6 head I use a y8 cam gear and had to ajust it off by one tooth. The adj. Cam gear was a pain in the a!!... I think with the y8 head that trick won't work.

I went to pull and pay and got my head and intake. Stay away from the 1998-99 intake unless you plan on plugging the air injection holes. Read -read and ask questions. That's what I did and if you want to build the bottom end you will have to notch the block unless you get special rods. In the end I wish I would have just went and got a d16 block because in a few years they will be easier to get than the d15's but it was what I had.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a dpgi to mpfi conversion harness for HAMotorsports. It also converted obd0 to obd1. Like others were saying go obd1 for power performance. Im using a p28 and went with Moates Demon2 RTP. I also had HAmotorsports build me a base map. I can't tell you what is best but I will tell you what has worked for me. What was a little tricky was the timing. With a Z6 head I use a y8 cam gear and had to ajust it off by one tooth. The adj. Cam gear was a pain in the a!!... I think with the y8 head that trick won't work.

I went to pull and pay and got my head and intake. Stay away from the 1998-99 intake unless you plan on plugging the air injection holes. Read -read and ask questions. That's what I did and if you want to build the bottom end you will have to notch the block unless you get special rods. In the end I wish I would have just went and got a d16 block because in a few years they will be easier to get than the d15's but it was what I had.
I have another question I drilled out the oil jet in my block so will the tunnel on the block line up to the oil jet of the y8 head

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Why drill it out when a wood screw threaded in can pop the oil jet out with vicegrips?

Get those metal shavings out of there!

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
I have another question what ecu can I use to run my vtec but it has to be obd1 and for a manual
What is your research method?

I ask because part of a mechanic's life is being able to source information. The better you can find info, the better able you are able to fix and save money.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
P28 is what I Used but I hear you can use any OBD1 if you get it socketed. You can even add VTEC if it's not set up for it. Check out HaMotorsports web site about ecu's and programs. Demon2 and Hondata..etc. etc. It will help you out. There are also others out there but that is who did my computer ECU work. If you have never worked on computer boards have some one do it for you. Ive worked on cars for over 25 years, thought I was going to socket my ecu. I opened the ECU up and tried to desolder it, It's not as easy as watching a video and I also wasn't going to risk me messing up a $200 ECU so I ended up sending everything I bought from them back to them and paid them to install it. Im sure there are other companies and guys out there that know what they are doing z but that's what worked for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts