Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
D16Y8 FrankenMotor into CRX with P28 OBD1 control, dizzy questions

I need to order a distributor for my new engine.

First, a little about the car. I have a 91 CRX HF that had a JDM D15B single cam non-vtec installed as a replacement for the stock motor by a previous owner. The rest of the wiring and engine control was retained as stock USDM HF trim. This little D15B has lost compression on two cylinders and its time for it to get replaced by my new motor, which unfortunately is a FrankenMotor.

The new motor:
I bought it as a pull from a wrecked 96 Civic EX. I did NOT check the block stamp before i put down my deposit (facepalm) and assumed i was getting a USDM D16Y8. The head is from the Y8, but the block is... D15B. For the time being, the engine is together as one unit and I'm not worrying about tune up parts, but I did not buy the dizzy with the engine.

The reason for that is my brother's car: he had an 88HF that he Mini-me'd with a D15ZC, P28 ecu. It has head and tranny issues and just, not happening right now. So, I planned on taking the Y8 longblock and intake, using the OBD1 conversion harnesses, distributor, four wire O2 sensor, VTEC wiring and P28 ECU from Tim's car and throwing it into my car. Delete the charcoal canister from my car, re position the MAP sensor wiring, etc. However, his distributor (TD42) is NOT lining up to the bolt holes on my P2J-4 head from the Y8. The OBD0 dizzy lines up properly on the Y8 head, but not the TD42.

Y8 head:

ZC head:

I searched through several threads here and on other forums and it SEEMS that the answer lies in buying a TD80U distributor, and a OBD0-OBD2 ten pin plug harness from Rywire.

I'd like some confirmation that I am on the right path before I drop money on parts. After that, I'll worry about asking about a few other minor details I could also use some confirmation on. It looks like this motor has a small fan switch plug up higher than mine, but the location for my old CRX switch is simply plugged. I can just remove this plug and install my switch, correct?

Is that plug higher up merely the later style fan switch? Also, there is a two wire plug on the thermostat housing that seems like I will not be using:

On the middle of the fuel rail is a vacuum solenoid of some sort I believe I will simply delete, but I'm totally clueless about possible repercussions:

And then there is this.. a knock sensor? Is it a later model crankshaft position sensor?

You can see where the wire from that sensor goes down into the crank pulley area in this next photo. The last detail that I will need to handle is the front engine mount, but that seems straightforward enough. From what I have read I can't tell if I may have some grinding to do once I pull the front cover off and try to put the CRX mount on, but I'm a big enough boy to figure that out.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
for the dizzy you need to use a d15b7 or a y8 and get an adapter for it..

the sensor up high on the back of the block is knock sensor..not used for your app

the sensor in the thermostat housing is the fan switch

the thing thats on the fuel rail is evap purge solenoid,it can be deleted

the last pic is the crank sensor plug...its not needed...

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
a d15b7 distributor is natively OBD1 and bolts to a d16y8 head.

the only oddball distributor mounting setup is the d16z6 and d15z1 pattern, which is why yours does not fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need an adapter for either the OBD1 dizzy or the OBD2 dizzy, but I already have a pair of OBD0->1 adapters. What I need is to know the better option: run the non VTEC OBD1 native dizzy (also what car is this engine from, according to wikipedia it looks like 92-95 DX, LX, Del Sol?) or just buy the adapter and use the OBD1 computer to run the VTEC obd2 dizzy that I should have bought with the engine in the first place. If the P28 computer will run the Y8 dizzy then that is what I would prefer, but there is SO MUCH information to be gleaned out of many many threads that I must confess, I am more than a little daunted.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Obd1 and obd2 dizzys work the same. Only thing different is the plug and mounting ears. So yes the y8 dizzy will work with the p28 ecu. The d15b7 comes in the 92-95 civic dx.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
swap connectors by repinning the OBD-0 connectors onto the OBD-1 or 2 dist.

D16Y8 motor in 91 EX, repinned dist and running on P28 with adapter harness, it was all converted when I bought the car. The parts will be used on my 89 HF soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I ordered the Y8 dizzy (TD-80U) and the adapter harness from RyWire.

I had given serious thoughts to making the conversion solid by de-pinning the wires and retrofitting the 10 pin plug, and I may well do that down the line but for the time being this swap is best POLITICALLY (ie, pisses off the people around me less) if I can say "See but it is all instantly able to go back to stock!"

I'll bump this post with a link to final build thread with photos once it is in. I can't wait; I've been driving this car for five years with the HF electronics, and a Japanese D15B longblock, so who knows what power it has been making. For two years I was running the HF gearbox but the input shaft bearing went out and I swapped in a DX box until I can get that repaired. The chassis has 425,000 miles on the ticker, and I never re connected the speedo cable after it pulled out swapping the trans. Car must be near half a million miles at this point, and NOW she's gonna have a nice fuel/spark curve, so I ought to get power AND MPG out of this. I'm so happy...

I don't race this car, it is a DD/spirited driver/econobox. My "project car" is a 1972 Datsun 240Z, along with a whole fleet of Zs and Roadsters (street and SCCA) owned by my pops and brothers and I. So my goals with it are not quite what one might think upon the surface, but I know lots of you guys use your little Hondas the same way I use my little Honda.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, for what it is worth, I have to re-iterate the fact that discovering this longblock was a bastard child COMPLETELY caused me to lose faith in anything I thought I knew, because I couldn't be certain that nothing else had been changed. I was very apprehensive about posting all this up asking for someone to help nurse me through this process, because I OUGHT to know better. I just don't have the experience working with Hondas that I do on some other cars I've had, and I like to know I know what I think I know. My sig file on forums like this usually has a quote attributed to me, "Wisdom is knowing how much you do not know"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts