Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. Awesone forum guys. I have been reviewing this forum for months now and now that i am going to rebuilding my 98 civic ex my friend gave to me. I am going to need some profesional help on civic engines.

My friend gave me his 1998 civic ex coupe 5speed with a blown engine, he blew the #1 rod ouf of the block. I took the car in insted of letting it go to the junk yard (i love honda's and always will). I bought a d16y8 engine that was installed in a 88 crx race car for 700$ (only 5 races on rebuild engine). It has the intake ports ported and the engine is bored/honed with acl race bearings. I have the paper work of the machine work from the machine builder. Dont know what pistons are in it i think oem oversized. Not sure if i should install the engine and see what it does or just do an overhaul of this engine. I never herd it run. I was thinking of getting the FJ distrubitors bottom end high compression kit and send it to a engine shop to assemble it. I am a swiss cnc machinist and i am very fluent on machining but not rebuild an engine besides my honda cr480 engine. What you guys think. This is going to be a project so i want it done rite. no time constraints any opinions

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another question

can i keep my stock rods. and which ones would have the greater benefit the p29 or pm3 pistons. I want the high compression build. I plan on breaking into the engine this weekend and measure the bore size and sending the head to get shaved .01. i think the bore should be .5mm over but need to confirm.

·
Registered
uh civic
97 Posts
Hey there nice to see some Y8 action. So here is my little blurb for ya. I know very little about cars in general but have put together some solid knowledge about the d engines from this great site. With mediocre reading & comprehension skills one would be able to see that the key to a solid project is research. People are told everyday to SEARCH. its all here, just gotta find it. I'm mostly quoting what other veterans of this site have said but tell us your specific goals, budget and things like that. For example if building for boost seeking anywhere from 200-300hp (or even higher) 75.5mm vitara pistons and the FJ R spec I beams will take care of business. First thing I learned about D's were that stock rods are only good til 200hp give or a take 15hp. I've received a lot of assistance from the folks on here but you must address everything appropriately. Welcome and this is the place to be if you're down with the D.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice a reply

Yeah ive been doing reasearch on this site for the past 2 months since my buddy gave me the car, and love checking out what people are doing. As i said im looking for high compression about 180hp if thats capable on this engine. I want it all motor. Its already been bored/honed .5mm over i would think, so i am going to replace pistons and check the ACL race bearings. i never herd the motor run. The head i might look into the crowler cam stage 2 if possible. Slowly but surelly i will get the d engines down. i hope. This car will not be a dailly driver. I want it to be a reliable high compression tuner. I already have a 2007 dodge 1500 hemi for a daily driver so this honda will be a work in progress. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated on a proper build.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,976 Posts
stock rods and high comp sounds like fail waiting to happen. stock rods hold what 250whp?

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
180hp NA is gonna be tough. What kind of cam and valve train are in it? I just got my civic tuned saturday, build is in my sig. Just to put things in perspective: It put down 119hp/99tq at 6000 Ft elevation and 91octane. That translates to around 145hp sea level. I bet I can hit 155+ with e85 and the crower springs. So 180hp NA is gonna take a little work. Maybe a big cam and some high revs may help do the trick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah huh

Maybe 180 is a little much. i will be getting eagle rods with the purchase of the pistons. I am thinking nippon p29 pistons, eagle rods, Acl race bearings and a stage 2 crowler cam. I am looking i want about 10-11cr with the shave of the head. If i do get the nippon pistons whats is ment by notching the block if i have to. i will keep you posted when i pull the head and measure the piston size and bore size.

·
Registered
42 Posts
u should get an adjustable cam as well with the head mill, it will mess with your valve timing just a little

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like im bringing it to the machine shop because i took the head off when i got home and the pistons look new but its only 75mm cylinders. the pistons have a little dish to them and have a gold top. not sure what they are but im going .5mm over with high compression. when at top dead center the piston is flush with the block. the cylinders look perfectly honed but not bored like the guy said. i really want to do a full build to this engine. do you guys think eagle rods, high compression nippon p29 pistons with a crowler stage 2 cam be a decent N/A build. the head is ported on the intake side. Thanks for the responses guys. does anyone have any clue what pistons these could be with a gold color to them. has std stamped on them with an arrow pointing torward the right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got another question

I tore into the botom end and i cant figure out what to do. The guy told me the engine was bored and honed but i measured the cylinder and got around 75mm not 75.5mm, but i did notice a perfectlly honed cylinders looks like they were just done with new pistons. the piston comes flush with the block. I am bringing the engine tomorow to get oven cleaned, shot blast and mag block. Would you guys just throw high compression pistons in and call it a day or give it a good bore/hone to 75.5mm. Also the pistons im not sure what they are. They have a goldish top a little dish not domed and valve reliefs to them. they look in excellant condition. they have a std stamped with an arrow on them no classification marks. I do have the paper work from the previous machine work but all it says is machine work not really describing what was done. any input

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i got a price of 150 to bore and hone at a engine shop. what pistons you running. I have read some threads about p29s not being good in the y8 engines because of compression being to high or somthing. seams like you have the same car and setup im looking into. I got the engine to a bare block yesterday and thank god i did the bearings were junk i have to get the crank polished.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well actually i have wiseco pistons in it im plannin on forced induction im not runnin it yet i had a turbo for it but it got stolen so im tryn to get a hold of another one but i took the pic with the filter on it just cuz i was bored 150 for the block work aint to bad i only paid 100 for mine though but i think its worth it. from what ive seen though the p29s are good i havent seen any bad things with them but yes i have heard of some... i think they would be okay for your build though

·
Registered
279 Posts
Maybe 180 is a little much. i will be getting eagle rods with the purchase of the pistons. I am thinking nippon p29 pistons, eagle rods, Acl race bearings and a stage 2 crowler cam. I am looking i want about 10-11cr with the shave of the head. If i do get the nippon pistons whats is ment by notching the block if i have to. i will keep you posted when i pull the head and measure the piston size and bore size.
if you have a clearance issue with the rods hitting the bottom of the cylinder then the block will need to be notched. with p29's and a head shaved .010your compression should be around 13:1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds good

i was looking and reading and the p29s are the way i am going on the build. I am looking at around 13cr for the build. going to wait till i get the pistons in and then send the block to be bored/honed and then oven baked and cleaned. Do you think i can get the rods shot peened and that will be ok for the build since i have read there good for 200hp and i will only be getting around 140hp or so. The crank looks like it needs a polishing the acl race bearings that were in it look a little worn, but im not sure how used bearings should look like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no doubt

Thats on my list. I want to bring my crank to the shop and have him check it out. I want to go p29s, but i read that the pg6's might be a better piston for my setup, but i dont want to run into problems with p2v clearance. if there isnt any valve clearance problems on the p29's i will use them but it seams the pg6's will give me a more reliable cr in the long run. I want to do this rite the first time. I am in the process of getting the pistons this week.

·
Registered
279 Posts
make sure you get the crank balanced with the new pistons. eagle rods are good to like 400hp or more and you can get them for around 300 on ebay it might be a little overkill but if your looking for a strong bottom then this would be the way to go, but it's up to you. theres a lot of people running 13-14's with your set up check out what there using

1 - 19 of 19 Posts