Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and have a few simple questions that I could find out through researching a little but before that i'd like to get a few answers from hands on experience. I have a d16y8 that i'd like to boost. I am new to D series as I have only had average experience with DOHC only. I was wondering what exactly can single cam stock internals hold up to? Im looking to make around 200-220 whp. I have found a few possible kit candidates, but Ive decided id like to buy the snail seperate. I have my eyes on the super 60 t3 from turbonetics, it looks really nice for the numbers I am trying to achieve.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said 200-220
The T3 should work man I dont even think you need to go as high as a 60 Trim.
Another option could be the IHI series 5.
That's what I've been told that a 60 trim is more than necessary for that type of hp. I dont know too much about the IHI series ill have to look into that, the only reason I was searching turbonetics because ive gotten pretty well acquainted with the structure and internals of their product over the years. After doing a little more research here tonight I think I might be still going with the super 60 series from turbonetics, but maybe a 48 trim instead of the 60 which would most likely be unnecessary. I love their ceramic ball bearing options, and also the f1 10 blade wheel design. Their turbos spool amazing, and are very smooth and reliable. Im going to look into the IHI series a little before I make a final purchase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This d series adventure is going to turn out like my old k series adventure back in 2010-11 where you start out stock than end up wanting to fully build it haha. My old engine started out as a bone stock k20a2 with 204whp and 154tq on kpro tuned by bubba at do it dyno in socal. Than ended up being whats listed below!!Im almost guessing this d series is going to start out stock boosted maybe 200-215 to the wheels on a t3 kit, than end up being built just like this lol The great thing about d series is its a hell of alot cheaper than k series hince the reason I sold the k series entire car! that thing made me broke!!!

OLD 2010-11 BUILD
03 K20a2 engine:
Golden eagle sleeves
CP 10:1 comp. pistons
Manley turbo tuff rods
ARP hardware
ERL S2000 oil pump
K24 oil pan
Kings Performance TCT
Ported and polished head
Skunk2 stage 3 cams
Supertech valvetrain
AFI intake manifold
Accufab 90mm throttle body

Competition Clutch twin disk
DSS 5.9 axels and hubs
k20z1 lsd tranny

Full Race t4 twinscroll sidewinder turbo manifold
Twin Tial MVS wastegates
Dumptubes made to exit from hood
Tial Q bov

·
Registered
125 Posts
does this thread not look similiar to one that was just deleted in the noob section a few days ago? Same roud about questions and same k20 story? Anyways once you get this thing boosted you will fall in love with d-series.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a difference between a t3 60 trim and the t3 super 60. The t3 60 trim is perfect. I made 211whp on 7psi. I get full boost by 3200 rpm. I've heard that they are fine for up to 275whp.
I did a little more searching last night before I crashed out to bed, and the t3 60 trim is probably my best option that way if I ever wanted to make a little more power Id have the turbo to do it. I mean Im not trying to be crazy like I said just make maybe 200 or a little over. I've seen guys make in upwards of 300 with the 60 trim t3 before and it never had issues. It might be pushing it a little bit, but none the less lasted. I appreciate the hands on experience, thats exactly what im looking for. Im going to start looking for the rest of the kit today now that Ive selected a snail.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does this thread not look similiar to one that was just deleted in the noob section a few days ago? Same roud about questions and same k20 story? Anyways once you get this thing boosted you will fall in love with d-series.
I dont know what your referring to noob section a few days ago??? Im new to this site, and actually this is my first .org site so It'd be impossible to have seen me on here before. If that helps your assumptions. But thats what Im hearing d series is a very fun application to boost. I cant wait to start putting it all together. I have alot to purchase still, but my goal is to have it built by the end of this month, just in time for the hot summer here in socal, so it can run like crap in 110degree weather lol. I will start posting pictures when I begin to recieve the items in the mail. Id like to make a good quality build thread from start to finish.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
A quick compressor map check puts the T3 60 trim on the 70% efficiency island at 20 psi, while flowing 29lbs of air. Using the same methods, 7 psi (from my setup) placed the turbo on the 74/70% islands, flowed 18lbs of air and made 211 whp. Once I get my built block finished I'll be testing the efficient limits of this turbo. My goal is 275-285 whp. I think 11 additional pounds of air ought to do it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A quick compressor map check puts the T3 60 trim on the 70% efficiency island at 20 psi, while flowing 29lbs of air. Using the same methods, 7 psi (from my setup) placed the turbo on the 74/70% islands, flowed 18lbs of air and made 211 whp. Once I get my built block finished I'll be testing the efficient limits of this turbo. My goal is 275-285 whp. I think 11 additional pounds of air ought to do it!

I dont know if I just missed it or you didnt say, but what turbo are you running are your setup? I know your explaining the t3 60 trim but is that what your running? Well if you remember once you build your block and test the limits of the turbo give me some insight because most likely I will be building a motor soon. And thats actually awesome whp for only 7 lbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I say sell that y8 engine and build another K20 :TU:

I might have seen it around. Pot a picture?
haha I really wish I had the extra funds to build another k series man, but its really expensive, I spent 10k in 1 month on that build. 1/2 my savings gone in a heartbeat haha. As im researching more and more Im getting more interested in building a d series not only because of the price difference in building one compared to a b series or k series, but it seems as if it might be more fun, since your working with more of a basic engine. I dont know how to post pictures on the thread yet?? any hints lol

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
ok awesome so I can expect some similiar results from the turbo. I think Im going to go ahead and order the snail tonight.
Check out my build to see if that's what you want to get into. Don't be too impatient to start your build. Take your time, map everything out, and don't get ahead of yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check out my build to see if that's what you want to get into. Don't be too impatient to start your build. Take your time, map everything out, and don't get ahead of yourself.
Your build sounds great, and basically what Id like to end up doing here in the next month. I am going to take all the time I need for this as I have learned the more time taken the longer the build lasts! haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts