Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to this forum but have done tons of research and need definate answers on building my turbo set up. Im a chevy guy at heart but when i read and watch videos of d16's ripping down the track i couldnt help but buy a clean cheap ej8. I posted these questions on the "forced induction" thread because I know all of you boost dudes need thier cars tuned.

Vehicle specs:

-1997 civic ex with d16y5 block but retains the y8 head (obviously an engine swap previous owner said the engine had low miles but the od reads 170,xxx so it makes sense now)
-5 speed manual with new stock replacement axles.
-auto meter a piller panel with boost,egt, and air fuel.

Turbo component list along with fuel and exhaust.

-To4b air flow research turbo (.60 cold/.80 hot)(I already have this turbo and it's rebuilt and I want to try and use it)
-550 cc injectors eBay.
-eBay intercooler kit comes with blow off valve.
-38mm wastegate eBay.
-255lph walbro fuel pump.
-2 1/2" exhaust with 3 inch downpipe and flowmaster 40 series.

Engine/ Tranny build

-engine tech rebuild kit (cheap and lasted 7000 rpm pulls in my sbc 357 build)
-eagle forged pistons
-New valve seals and valve job.
-oil pump mods??
-LSD dragger clutch kit
-eBay limited slip (300 dollar one)
-new cap and rotor along with plugs and wires.

Well with my parts list out of the way lol I have a burning question!? IS IT CHEAPER/SAFER TO KEEP OBD2 OR SWAP TO OBD1??

The obd 1 adapter harness is cheap (30 bucks) and as far as I understand i can buy a chipped p28 with a basic tune to get me to the dyno/tuner but what do I do to fuel injectors, distributor, alternator, etc? Or is it a plug and play deal?

If I have to change distributor, alternator, fuel injectors, and other things I can see that the price will potentially sky rocket just to convert to obd1. So can I keep obd2 and get that tuned??

Does my build sound like it'll work together other than my electrical dilemmas?

I would greatly appreciate all expert advice being that I typed all this on my iPhone and it took me awhile haha!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add that I will be building my own header kit with wastegate flange. I'm a certified I-CAR welder so no worries ha.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Convert to OBD1 and get a chipped P28 ECU, it's the best/easiest way. You won't need to change the distributor or anything. Just get it tuned and your good. (It plugs right in if you get the harness).

How much power are your looking for? And have you decided what tuning software to use? (Chrome, Neptune, Hondata?)

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
OK, since you have some clue on how engines work coming from the chevy scene, your on the right track, but your trying to things cheap.

As you know already

Cheap
Fast
Reliable
pick 2 and the 3rd is what its not.

The ebay intercooler might work, but ditch the BOV

Same with the cheap wastegate. These are designed to work for about a week and will need to be replaced. So if you can return that chinese knockoff garbage, do it with a quickness.

Also, That turbo is way to large for the single jingle. you wont even spool that thing. Sell that off and get a .50 trim

You can use any Honda OBD1 ecu and the software can convert the vtec engagement. Just use the OBD conversion harness. Same with the distrib or swap for an OBD1.

Im worried when u say EBAY injectors. what brand? matched?

Im not sure if the Y7 has the same oil issues as the Y8 block, but porting the oil pump will help with oil starvation.
What rods are you using? Dont use OEM replacements for anything over 200hp.

Having a power goal and budget will help us help you

EDIT: what is an ebay limited slip? Stay off ebay unless its for name brand parts. ACL,Hastings,Tial, etc..
Dont forget about an upgraded clutch and make sure to change the suspension. having 300 to the wheels is great, but keeping old 15 year old suspension might have your new project into a wall or another car.

For someone coming off turning wrenches on the chevy scene, you got me wondering with all these cheap parts you seem to be collecting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well here in Spokane there are a lot of turbo guys and my friends 88 gta firebird ran 10's with grand national turbos and eBay wastegates. It ran great but his new set up is much more expensive.

I don't go through emissions because my car is registered out of town. For power I want to make around 250-300 and I'll be using eagle rods and might ditch the engine tech pistons for some vitira ones.

I will probably save up alittle more and buy a tial wastegate and blow off valve then but I was really hoping my turbo would work for this set up!! As far as me going cheap I just graduated college and to be honest it's a Honda civic no offense.

Sounds like it is easier to switch to obd1 because from your replies it sounds like a plug and play deal. Thanks for all of your replies and info guys!!!

Can anyone else give info on my turbo size and if it'll work??

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
i already answered your turbo question, check here for a tuner near you.

*New Tuner Directory* - Honda-Tech

For your power goals, a T3 super 60 will work fine

heres a compressor map for the 60

This is at sea level, 275hp,7500 redline, and close to 16psi

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey everyone but im in the same boat ive got a 2000 civic dx with y5 block and y8 head y8 intake mani also. i have done alot of research but i just want to know how much like estimating it would cost to make 250whp to 300whp? would i have to resleeve?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
about 4-5 grand to do it right, and that will give you room to grow to higher power goals in the future.

its best to over build it then to under build it.

Some say 4-5 is alot, but wfter youve done a build, theres always something you forgot or something that broke. Just telling you now, If you dont have the $$ for a custom build, or $$ to fix things that break, or on a budget, DO NOT start modding cars. Leave it stock.

remember, the $$ u put into it, you wont be getting out if u decide to sell. Once you cross that line, either build it or take a loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alrights thanks!!! Sounds like I'll use my .60 turbo on a straight six Chevy lol and keep my eyes open for a smaller one. Switch to obd1 and have a shop tune it. I'll post pictures as I build it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts