Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which transmission should i be using? im in the process of swapping a d16y8 into an 1989 civic STD 3 DR.... rebuilding engine prepping just to tune and boost a bit. Wont boost till later on though. Id like to have the feel of an SI trans. Any model numbers or anything recommended?

·
Registered
Lincoln Town Car
30 Posts
I'm running a Y7 with an 89 Si trans. I'm happy with it for my city driving but I wish my highway revs were a little lower.

·
Registered
99 integra ls-DD
384 Posts
y8 has steel shift fork vs z6 with alumium, but tranny its self are 99% same, i think 3rd gear has like .01 shorter on a y8 which u wnt feel it.

but if price are same i would get y8, and most time they tend to have less mile than z6 too.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
people say tht the y8 tranny is th best one,least from wat i hear anyways
y8 has steel shift fork vs z6 with alumium, but tranny its self are 99% same, i think 3rd gear has like .01 shorter on a y8 which u wnt feel it.

but if price are same i would get y8, and most time they tend to have less mile than z6 too.
both of you guys are still noobs lol

you can't use the y8 tran into his car. at least not for cheap.
at least someone read what tdogg11951 was asking :TU:

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
^^what he said...unless you are looking for long gearing for gas mileage, then i would us a hf tranny

·
Registered
685 Posts
y8 tranny works well for me. i hear its the better one out of all the d-series trannys
from what i read, there something about the y8 tran that gives it a 3rd gear grind. i forgot what, but it was discussed in a thread i was reading. think it was the steel shift fork design or something.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
Man. Reading owns most of you.

Sir. Go with an Si cable trans unless you just want longer gears for better mpg then go with the HF trans.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Man. Reading owns most of you.

Sir. Go with an Si cable trans unless you just want longer gears for better mpg then go with the HF trans.
:bigrofl:

Look at the date of the first post Sammo...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts