Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ppl , im planning a D16Z6 swap into my EK obd2a chassis , but i have a problem , my OBD1 Ecu is dead , and i have a Y8 one...can you tell me if Z6 runs with a OBD2a ECu from the Y8?? im using all the original engine harness from my Y8 with the adjustments to fit in Z6.. and if i can use it , i save some money not buying a OBd1 and convertion harness also.....thx ppl

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah after you get the conversion harness the plugs for the ecu i believe are diff

no , they match because the Y8 ecu is a obd2a also, my only concern is the maps Z6 vs Y8...i know that Z6 block dont have knock sensor and all 96-00 have into the oil pump , so i think if i just use my y8 oil pump , i dont have any problem with that , alternator and distribuitor also ..what do you folks think?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i believe the maps would be the same but im almost positive you cant switch the oil pumps, pans are different its a mess there is no need for that. the knock sensor mounts above the oil filter housing. the only problem i would see would be throwing a knock sensor code causing no vtec to work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i believe the maps would be the same but im almost positive you cant switch the oil pumps, pans are different its a mess there is no need for that. the knock sensor mounts above the oil filter housing. the only problem i would see would be throwing a knock sensor code causing no vtec to work.
i will try to see that this week , but in worst situation i ll do the bypass trick...

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The timing maps are different. The Y8 base timing is 12* while the Z6 is 16*. So you'll have to look into compensating for that. The Y8 ECU will look for a 2nd O2 sensor also.

Now despite all this the engine will prbably stil run ok once you get past any CELs. The injectors are the same size. The displacement aand compression is about the same. I was able to do the opposite - I ran a Y8 on the Z6 maps using Hondata but I adjusted the timing by 4 degrees.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The timing maps are different. The Y8 base timing is 12* while the Z6 is 16*. So you'll have to look into compensating for that. The Y8 ECU will look for a 2nd O2 sensor also.

Now despite all this the engine will prbably stil run ok once you get past any CELs. The injectors are the same size. The displacement aand compression is about the same. I was able to do the opposite - I ran a Y8 on the Z6 maps using Hondata but I adjusted the timing by 4 degrees.

thx alot , that was i thinking about ,
but you´re running at 16 BTC isnt? and i need to do it also , is that correct?

Because the Y8 have a 9:6.1 compression ratio and works on 12 btc , Z6 have a 9:2.1 compression ratio and works on 16btc . resuming -less compression , more ignition and vice versa...is this right?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The Y8 has a crankshaft sensor and the Z6 does not.

There is some discussion on how to fake that signal so the ECU will not throw a CEL - however, it doesn't affect how the car runs.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I know it sounded like I knew what I was talking about, huh. Well I don't really know but I think it has more to do with the difference in number of teeth on the z6 and y8 cam gears. So mechanically the timing is different by 4 degrees. I think compression is more of a factor when you've milled the head and moved the cam closer to the crank which again changes the timing mechanics. But wait for a real expert to chime in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts