Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I figured I might post my build in progress right now. This is my first engine build and have been researching parts and builds for months. Any input would be great. I'm shooting for anything between 300-400whp while keeping reliability and street-ability. Below are some of the parts I already have.

stock y8 rebuilt head
y8 block
75mm SRP pistons w/ Eagle Rods 9:1 cr w/ ARP rod bolts
z6 crank
.63 trim turbo (might change out)
adjustable fpr
walboro 255 fuel pump
4 bar map sensor (might buy a replacement)
various parts from when my stock y7 was boosted

Some things I still need to purchase

arp head steads
1000cc injectors
hondata s300 ecu & boost solenoid
ACL or Kings bearing set (main, rod and thrust)
Clutch kit
misc. items

Some things i still need to do

Port and shim my oil pump
I'm assuming I will have to notch my block

Some things i'm debating

Buying a blockguard
Buying a new fuel rail
Buying an adjustable cam gear

I plan on getting it tuned on e85 at xenocron tuning solutions in NY as it's only about a 30min drive from me.

I'll post some pics in a bit, all i've done so far was clean and paint the block, valve cover and IM.

Any input/constructive criticism will be appreciated!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Forget the block guard and get the block done by cylinder support systems. Google it.

I'm interested in your build. I boosted my stock y8 last summer and now I'm building a z6 and I'm also considering switching to e85. Only thing that makes me debate doing it is I would have to drive 20 minutes to get it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah somebody actually told me about CSS yesterday. I'm shooting for 300-400hp so i'm not to sure if it's necessary as i've heard the stock sleeves can hold about 450hp. If I am misinformed please let me know

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forget the block guard and get the block done by cylinder support systems. Google it.

I'm interested in your build. I boosted my stock y8 last summer and now I'm building a z6 and I'm also considering switching to e85. Only thing that makes me debate doing it is I would have to drive 20 minutes to get it.
I'm also lucky because I have an e85 pump about a mile away from me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics of the block after a clean and paint

20170104_211234.jpg
20170104_211316.jpg

And here's one of the IM after a clean, i'm probably going to paint it tomorrow

20170104_211253.jpg

I figured to throw a picture of this ghettoness I did, I got an engine stand on an open box special but it was missing two wheels. Nothing a little weight can't fix lol

20170104_211327.jpg

I have a bunch of parts coming in tomorrow and will take more pics then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a couple of pics of the head that came in. Only thing it needs is for me to set the lash on it. Just waiting for my feeler gauge to come in since I lost mine )':
20170106_195848.jpg
20170106_195924.jpg

All I need to order right now before I can start putting my motor together is my bearings. Will post some pics of my z6 crank and piston and rod combo when they come in. (purchased both second hand, I took a gamble on the SRP & Eagle combo because I bought them on H-T for $250. The seller had good feedback so we'll see) Also, I was foolish and ordered a z6 solenoid for my y8 head assuming it would work. Of course I was wrong. But that's not urgent.

Also, i'm thinking of ordering this bearing set. Any thoughts?

ACURA HONDA 1.6L ACL Race BEARINGS Set D16A1 D16A6 D16Y5 D16Y7 D16Y8 D16Z6 D16Y | eBay

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but look into the compatibility of the 255 pump I'm pretty sure it's not compatible with ethanol you would need the 450 and also a set of injectors like injector dynamics

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ive never heard of that. But I have heard that on e85 you need close to twice the amount of fuel when compared to regular gasoline.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive never heard of that. But I have heard that on e85 you need close to twice the amount of fuel when compared to regular gasoline.
There are ethanol compatible pumps and ones you should t use with ethanol the life of the pump is shortned same with the injectors ethanol swells regular seals. And you are correct about the amount of fuel it uses it tends to flow 50% more than gasoline

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are ethanol compatible pumps and ones you should t use with ethanol the life of the pump is shortned same with the injectors ethanol swells regular seals. And you are correct about the amount of fuel it uses it tends to flow 50% more than gasoline
I've looked into it, and although the walboro 255 isn't specifically made for ethanol- people have run it in there setups (mostly Subarus) without any issues. I've heard anywhere from 30-50% more ethanol as it takes around 30-50% more ethanol to make the same energy as gasoline.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would personally just put the 450 ethanol pump in it's only 40 or 50 more it's for ethanol and you also have a pump sufficient enough in case you want to make more power just my 2 cents

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would personally just put the 450 ethanol pump in it's only 40 or 50 more it's for ethanol and you also have a pump sufficient enough in case you want to make more power just my 2 cents
If I had to buy a fuel pump then I probably would. I already have the 255 in my car from when it was a stock turbo y7

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright guys, it's been a while. I got busy with this semester in school. Just finished getting my associates in cybersecurity :clown: . I digress though. So this weekend I got the motor running on the stock y8 ecu with the stock 240cc injectors. Started without any issues. My main concern right now is getting it in shape for inspection and emissions because I live in NY and need it done before I can register it again. Here are some pics, I'll also post a vid of its first start once it finishes uploading on youtube. On a side note, do any of you know if a y7 ecu will work fine if I were to put the 190cc injectors back in? I really just don't feel like wiring the vtec or knock sensor right now.
20170520_141849.jpg
20170520_192917.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds good! The y7 should work, I ran D16Z6 engine with a P06 and it passed emissions.
Thanks man, and yeah I just want to get this thing on the road already lol. It's been 2 years since i've actual had it on the road. I plan on wiring the vtec in eventually, my main concern is just getting it road worthy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
look up my thread on here to get an idea of what you need it should be d16z6 full build I made 384 the first time 440 and now I'm going for 500 but youll need a few things to be reliable

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm also planning on doing a similar build like this only it's not gonna be running on e85. Excited to see more of this keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Interested in a refreshed (all new caps) P28 with S300 V2? Nothing wrong with it, I just want a V3 for the bluetooth...

·
Registered
Del Sol EH6
173 Posts
A blockguard will work fine for that power level. CSS is also nothing else than a blockguard, only the fitment is very good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts