Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil yesturday, I added 3 3/4 quarts I checked it this morning and it registers almost a inch over. Im wondering if I have the wrong dipstick, ive searched around and havent found anything on the length of the y8 dipstick.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I changed my oil yesturday, I added 3 3/4 quarts I checked it this morning and it registers almost a inch over. Im wondering if I have the wrong dipstick, ive searched around and havent found anything on the length of the y8 dipstick.
I don't even know how to read mine. Lol
Mine sits above the second hole all the time. Probably bad, but they need to add the full and low lines. Sorry. Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
If you checked it with the car unlevel it can be off by a lot.

If it looks like this its the right one:

I don't even know how to read mine. Lol
Mine sits above the second hole all the time. Probably bad, but they need to add the full and low lines. Sorry. Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Bottom hole is LOW top hole is FULL, how hard is that?

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
my manual said to put 3 1/2 quarts in and i put in as close to that as i could or just over and i was ALMOST touching the top hole on my dipstick. so i have experienced the same thing. but ive noticed there is nearly a whole quart difference between the low line and the full line so there is alot of room there in the middle. dont know if that helps you at all or not.

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
The bottom hole is the add 1 quart hole. If It is at the bottom hole add 1 quart and it will be right at the top hole. If it is halfway between the top and bottom hole add a half a quart. So on and so forth.

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
What I do is add 3 1/2 quarts. Then i run it for a few seconds, then I'll wait a minute or so and check it. Add however much more it needs.

·
Registered
92 EG, 88 ST165 WRC
410 Posts
So how long are these bad boys; I'm super cheap and want/have to use the stick from my B7 in the Y8 swap.

Yes, I'm that cheap/broke... can't afford to drive to the junk yard, pay their $2 gate fee and all that nonsense.

Broke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you checked it with the car unlevel it can be off by a lot.

If it looks like this its the right one:

Bottom hole is LOW top hole is FULL, how hard is that?
My car is parked in a dirve way its level for the most part I dont think it be off by this much though. My dipstick does look like that one so I guess its the right one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
that is about a quart over it should be at the top dot if it is over by too much the oil with foam and loose its lubrication effect and cause a spun bearing just drain a little bit at a time till its at the top dot. and again if you check it while the car is on an uneven surface it will be an inaccurate reading. and when i swapped my y8 into my eg the y8 dipstick was 15$ from the dealership. hope that helps

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
Hold on ill go measure mine.

edit. The metal rod is 13 inches long and the dipstick is 20 inches long over all. Hope that helps you

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
LOL... Now if someone could post a pic of how the dipstick tube and the clip on it clip into the timing cover I would be very grateful. Mine keeps coming out and twisting around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts