Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a civic ex with a d16y8 motor with performance headers NGK spark plug wires an air intake and a stock/modified exhaust what could could I do to further the performance of my vehicle sorry for my noob question it's my first Honda :) don't say turbo either please I don't have the money for a turbo right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How much do you have to spend? Chip and tune would probably be your next best bet but not sure how much that will get you.

·
McLOVIN
2002 Civic Si
800 Posts
Straight line performance? 35 shot of Nitrous.
Cornering performance? Coilovers a simple rear anti roll bar.

Cars arent cheap...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want to run nos in my car. J32 swap a good idea? Or will a tune or performance chip help a lot? Strut and sways will come soon. I just am looking for performance for street races usually a straight. I don't run it at the track just looking to beat friends/girlfriends integra and Audi.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,902 Posts
You say you dont have money for turbo but continue to ask of a j swap is good? And still continue to say its for street racing? 3 fails all at once.... If your looking for anything above 180hp non Force fed then walk away now

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Nitrous will be the cheapest source of legitimate power from a D16. Staying NA will get expensive. Do it right the first time and save up for a turbo kit. Don't even think about swaps, especially a J swap.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You say you dont have money for turbo but continue to ask of a j swap is good? And still continue to say its for street racing? 3 fails all at once.... If your looking for anything above 180hp non Force fed then walk away now
It Pained me to say street racing but why not be straight forward with what I'm trying to do? I can get a good amount of money for my engine that why I was talking about the swap and how often does nitrous need to refilled? Every use or?

·
Registered
1992 civic sedan LX
17 Posts
I was thinking the saaaaame thing...

·
Registered
160 Posts
It Pained me to say street racing but why not be straight forward with what I'm trying to do? I can get a good amount of money for my engine that why I was talking about the swap and how often does nitrous need to refilled? Every use or?
depends on the size of the bottle an how long you hold the button down , a 10lb bottle should last 6-8 1/4 mile runs

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
998 Posts
depends on the size of the bottle an how long you hold the button down , a 10lb bottle should last 6-8 1/4 mile runs
I was running a nitrous express main line efi kit ($400) on my 09 Chevy silverado with a 75 shot had a 10lbs bottle and could make a easy 8 passes in the 1/4 sometimes more just depends on temp and how long you spray for it cost me like $35 to refill the tank which I was doing about twice a week its very addictive. How much did it help ? Well my 09 Chevy 1500 short bed 4.3 V6 with 24's dropped a few inches had a K&N replacement filter E3 plugs and flowmaster 40 series muffler nitrous express 75 shot best time was a 14.9 in the 1/4 most of the time I ran around 15.2 to 15.3 first time I had ever ran it it was completely stock and I ran a 18 flat and a 17.5 my suggestion is I/H/E and a small shot of nitrous then have fun man
Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
I spent over $1000 on a complete nitrous system that I ended up taking off to turbocharge my car. I wish I saved that money. Be realistic with your goals. How long do you want the car? Spending $80 a month on nitrous can get expensive, that's $960 per year. Let's say you spend $400 for the basic nitrous kit, a year from now you'll have spent $1360. That could have been money towards your turbo build which has relatively low post-startup costs.
So you have to ask yourself how long you want to be making a certain type of power.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Modifying a Y8 for naturally aspirated is a waste of money. Your performance HEADER (not headers), wires, intake, and exhaust probably gave you 3-5 horsepower. You could throw another $3,000 into the engine and gain another 15, but you have to look at it all and decide, is it really worth it? Especially if part of that modification is adding a wild cam that will leave you with a narrow powerband at the very top. Go spend some time in the naturally aspirated forum (reading, not posting) and all of your questions will be answered. Honestly, a turbo kit, despite your perceptions, is the cheapest way to make horsepower, besides nitrous. Again, do some searching and reading up (reading means no posting, because I promise you that any beginner at your stage has questions that have been answered about 4,643,825,971 times already) here, on honda-tech, and on homemadeturbo.com. After that, you won't have any more questions, until you need the answer to something random when you're elbows-deep inside of your engine in the middle of a DIY turbo kit (and even then, chances are that it's been asked and answered already on all of the forums that I mentioned above).

You're also falling into the trap of wanting aftermarket parts just because they're aftermarket parts, not because they'll make you faster. An intake manifold won't help you any; the Y8 manifold is already good. If anything, just have the manifold worked on to clean up airflow restrictions, but again, do you really want to do all that work for a 1 horsepower gain?

For "a few hundred" dollars you aren't going to get anywhere near any swap, especially a J32. You can't even get the engine and transmission for that much. Your best bet for "cheap" and engine swap is a b16 or b18, although you're again looking at $3,000 for about 160 hp.

If I were in your position and wanted cheap power, I would honestly start with a different car. Even just staying with Honda Civics, a 2002-2004 Civic Si is selling for about $6,000 around me, in a state that doesn't have snow or salted roads. Once you factor in other cars, going as wild as you like, you will see that you have to specifically want to make the power out of your Civic to make sense making it faster.

·
Registered
civic
379 Posts
do u have a towhook? cuz those make vtakz crack hella loud yo, like sick jdm yo status.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
do u have a towhook? cuz those make vtakz crack hella loud yo, like sick jdm yo status.
Only if they're purple though and have a big sticker saying "TOW--->" All the other tow hooks only make the vtechs crack moderately loud.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts