Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, ive got a stock 96 civic sedan with a d16y8 and i want a turbo but i havent got a million bucks laying around. is it possible to do a build and turbo for around $2500?? I have no knowelege of any of this but my uncle is a mecanic and we can handle the work I just need help finding out what to buy for the innerds, and I dont want to do much in the fabrication area like making new motor mounts so do I keep the y8 block?. what kind of guts do I put into this baby? What kind of turbo? also he can get me a deal on exhaust from walker so thats taken care of i guess??

·
Registered
156 Posts
I boosted my stock Y8 for over a year making over 250 whp. so leave the motor alone. Buy a good clutch then try and part to gether a decent kit but $2500 is good i did my origianl kit for $1800 for everything minus the clutch.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Search around on the board some more. Do some research.
List these things then we will go from there.
Power goal?
AC yes or no?
5speed or auto?

And when in doubt greddy kit for the win. Bolt on and boost out. $600 used to $2500 new
Eledblock (might not be spelled right) bolt on kit $2500-$3200 new you don't find many used.

Custom kits will cost a lot less.
And on the motor if it runs good then keep it. Port/shime tthe oil pump. Apr headstuds. New oem headgasket. Full tank or 93 octane. 2 step color spark plugs.

·
Registered
94 civic hatch
337 Posts
It is very possiable to do a build for less then 2500$. what do you want from your car? performance wise? Also search and read alot..also check out homemadeturbo.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he does... OP: heres a link- GO-AUTOWORKS Turbo Kits
use the remaining money to get the lil things left to have a complete QUALITY kit from a GREAT seller and site vendor as well
ok I like that idea from go-autowroks. if i buy that what all goes into it? like a new computer? and for power im not looking to race or anything i just like getting onto the highway quickly and passing on a 2 lane road. i love working on cars, i have this car available and 250 hp would be plenty to start off with and I want the AC option (is that a Bad Idea??) and of course its a 5 speed!

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
ok I like that idea from go-autowroks. if i buy that what all goes into it? like a new computer? and for power im not looking to race or anything i just like getting onto the highway quickly and passing on a 2 lane road. i love working on cars, i have this car available and 250 hp would be plenty to start off with and I want the AC option (is that a Bad Idea??) and of course its a 5 speed!
Not a bad idea. Boost and ac is the best of both worlds. 250hp is right around where things start to break, so it would be best to build up the block for that hp.
And yes you need to either go to obd1 ecu. (wont pass emissions that way) or aem fic which would work on obd2. But if your taking it to a place to have it tuned you need to talk to them and see what can tune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
you could easily do it for 2500, i just did mine for 800, just gotta wait and collect the parts. dont try and rush into it. i ran 5 PSI (only 25-35 WHP probley, was not a big turbo by any means ) , on a completly stock motor, completly stock ECU. just put a Fuel pressure regulator , retarded timing slightly, and went 1 step colder plugs. And it went like stink, and ran good !

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
you could easily do it for 2500
I highly doubt he'll be able to do it for that much.

Search, you can find every answer to ever question you have posted somewhere on this forum. If you can search and find those answers you can easily do it for much less than $2500. If you make non-stop "spoon-feed me" type threads it'll never happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, i was thinking to build my motor on the $2500 and i watched a youtube video about a b16 and he had everything like a thousandth of an inch looser than oem so he can get more power with a turbo on it. Why should that be done? And can I get 200 hp out of a built motor that is ready for a turbo when I get the cash? and if so what are the best parts to upgrade? Ive heard alot about p29 pistons and do i do a new crank and head? And yeah im still searching, not trying to have my car spoon fed to me by others

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
ok, i was thinking to build my motor on the $2500 and i watched a youtube video about a b16 and he had everything like a thousandth of an inch looser than oem so he can get more power with a turbo on it. Why should that be done? And can I get 200 hp out of a built motor that is ready for a turbo when I get the cash? and if so what are the best parts to upgrade? Ive heard alot about p29 pistons and do i do a new crank and head? And yeah im still searching, not trying to have my car spoon fed to me by others
I have no idea what your trying to say on the first part.
But as far as building the motor.
Better quality then oem piston.
Thicker rods.
Stronger valves, spring and retainers.
Thats the basic should hold 300whp.

Now making NA power before you turbo is hard and kinda backwards.
It takes alot of money to make NA power(non turbo). NA builds normally have high comp piston. And they still dont make as much power as you could with a turbo. Price : Power.

If you are truly set on turboing your car. I would build a turbo kit around a t25 or small t3. Run low boost/ power. Around 180-190hp. Then build up the block when you have more money/time. Turn up the boost and run 250-300hp. The t25s will have a harder time getting to 300 then a t3 will, keep that in mind.

Also you can always upgrade turbo last on also.

Get a mind set of what you want before you start spending money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so turbo first. would a t25 be cheaper? I guess I should look but what needs to go with a turbo? computer? trans? valves? fuel rail? injectors? colder plugs? and im trying to get inside because it would be a cool experence for me and im not gonna go in for something not worth it, ill wait and buy a $20 lawn mower to take apart.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
ok so turbo first. would a t25 be cheaper? I guess I should look but what needs to go with a turbo? computer? trans? valves? fuel rail? injectors? colder plugs? and im trying to get inside because it would be a cool experence for me and im not gonna go in for something not worth it, ill wait and buy a $20 lawn mower to take apart.
Yes
Lots
Yes
No
Maybe
No
Yes
No

You're asking really basic questions. Start reading here, here, and here.

·
Registered
del sol
158 Posts
14b turbo $175 off of a 1g dsm good to 250 ish hp internaly wastgeted
or a big 16 off of a evo 8 i beleave its good to like 350 ish i beleave. also internaly wastgated
1g dsm blow of valve
2g dsm blue top 450 injecters
resistor box off of a 90;s acura (for the injecters)
cheep o ebay intercooler pipeing and fmic (you could save some money and just use the stock intercooler and pipeing off of the dsm's but looks shity
t25 turbo cast manifold
air to fuel gauge
boost gauge
eagle sandwhich plate {oil feed}
chiped and socketed ecu {p28 is the best)
but the most importent thing when you turbo is the TUNE your shit woulnt last a week if you dont tune it. people will try to sell you a base map but thats just to get you to the tuner try to stay in the vacume at all costs. i plan on just towing my car to the tuner
you should have a lot of money left over so if i was in your shoes i would spend that extra money on internals but thats just me

do your reasurch tho

1 - 19 of 19 Posts