Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Civic EX
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys think was a better idea. I have a stock D16y8 that i was planning on building up for boost eventually. But yesterday I got offered a B16 Complete with head, intake manifold, throttle body, etc. I was wondering which one would be the better deal? Im not familiar with the B16s.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
All things being equal you'll get more power off the b on pump gas, period

·
Registered
97 Civic EX
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the kid said I can get the B16 for $500. Is that a good deal or can I build the D16y8 for the same price? I would still have to get a tranny. The kid said he has 2 sitting around one was from a GSR and I dont remember the other one.

·
Registered
88 RT4wd wagon
349 Posts
Yes 500 is a smoking deal if it doesn't need a complete rebuild. Just make sure you get a b16 trans to go with it.

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
if the b is missing the tranny its prob missing the harness axel oil and water pump ect...... i have thought about going to the B side a few times but it just so easy to make 200hp on a stock d motor .........and with about $3,500 bucks you can have a D making 300 plus hp.....its all depends on what you really want and time and money ...... do some research on some builds on here main page for example very nice build threads

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
it depends on what generation b16 that is. for that price i bet its obd0 or obd1 and if your gonna stick it into an obd2 car and expect everything to go smooth better think again.

·
Registered
97 Civic EX
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So Id be better off with the D series. And you say I can get 200hp out of it without boosting it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
this is a site devoted to D engines and hating on B, F, and H series engines...
So you are kinda looking at a biased crowd.
But definitely the D is better because it is a lot less hassle...
With the B you are going to need engine mounts, and a tranny at least... and then putting it all in... just a lot of work that could be spent making the D kick a stock B's ass...

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
You should look around a bit to see how many of us O'G's have B's, F's', H's and K's.

It's not as much a biased crowd as you think. It's an honest place to come for information no matter what engine is brought up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You should look around a bit to see how many of us O'G's have B's, F's', H's and K's.

It's not as much a biased crowd as you think. It's an honest place to come for information no matter what engine is brought up.
Geez... Didn't really know that many guys had them...
I have seen a few guys, but I didn't think there were that many...
My bad...:3dtard:

Reactions: Grounded

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
So Id be better off with the D series. And you say I can get 200hp out of it without boosting it?
you can make 200whp without boosting but thats money and time into cams tunning...... a stock y8 can hold on a good tune about 225 like i said do some reading on here you will get all the info you need also please dont go buy a cheap ebay turbo kit thinking everything is going to work there are hit and miss and im not sure who it its on here but they have found ways to make an ebay kit work.... but your best bet is to hit up greg at go-autoworks.com he can help you with everything you need, i have never heard of bad things about him, he even replies back to emails at rapid sonic speed lol

your going to be about $2500.00 into a solid stock y8 boost build, run 10lbs on a good tune you will be happy, but it all depends on what kind of hp your wanting and how much money your wanting to spend...... b.c other wise you wont get anywhere

·
Registered
92 eg
723 Posts
my friend broke off a worked b16 5/6 runs and a stock b20v 2/2 on the freeway with his "stock" d16z6

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
for $500 I would buy it anyway and save it for later to do something with... but that is just me

if you get the B, you are probably going to have to do a bit of stuff such as:
- OBD coversion (probably)
- new mounts-
- you need a tranny, axels, accessories, etc

It depends on your budget I guess... if you have extra cash floating around, I'd scoop it up and use it now or boost the d and save it for later for another car

I want a turbo-d and an all motor DOHC... two totally different beasts... possibly a g23 (frankenstein)

good luck with whatever you do

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Well the kid said I can get the B16 for $500. Is that a good deal or can I build the D16y8 for the same price? I would still have to get a tranny. The kid said he has 2 sitting around one was from a GSR and I dont remember the other one.
Yes $500 is a good price. DOHC VTEC heads go from anywhere from $350-$500 here depending on completeness.

if the b is missing the tranny its prob missing the harness axel oil and water pump ect...... i have thought about going to the B side a few times but it just so easy to make 200hp on a stock d motor .........and with about $3,500 bucks you can have a D making 300 plus hp.....its all depends on what you really want and time and money ...... do some research on some builds on here main page for example very nice build threads
Why would his B be missing all that other shit if just the trans is missing? And who said a bswap will run you $3,500? You sound like a fanboy that doesn't know wtf you're talking about. If you knew how much I had in my lsv SWAP you wouldn't know what to do with yourself.

No, the amount of money it would take to make 200 on a d-series without a turbo is staggering.

But definitely the D is better because it is a lot less hassle...
With the B you are going to need engine mounts, and a tranny at least... and then putting it all in... just a lot of work that could be spent making the D kick a stock B's ass...
No bias here, although it is evident in the thread, I used to have a zc but no have a lsv.

you can make 200whp without boosting but thats money and time into cams tunning...... a stock y8 can hold on a good tune about 225 like i said do some reading on here you will get all the info you need also please dont go buy a cheap ebay turbo kit thinking everything is going to work there are hit and miss and im not sure who it its on here but they have found ways to make an ebay kit work.... but your best bet is to hit up greg at go-autoworks.com he can help you with everything you need, i have never heard of bad things about him, he even replies back to emails at rapid sonic speed lol

your going to be about $2500.00 into a solid stock y8 boost build, run 10lbs on a good tune you will be happy, but it all depends on what kind of hp your wanting and how much money your wanting to spend...... b.c other wise you wont get anywhere
Please STFU. You have no idea wtf you're talking about. So cams and tuning is all it takes to make 200whp on a N/A d? $2,500 for a solid turbo setup? I don't think so. You can put together a SOLID turbo setup for a grand. And for the love of GOD please use some punctuation not just ".........".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts