Honda D Series Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The guy I am building this for wanted to document and share the progress.

This is basicaly a high compression D16Y8 block with a Z6 head. Lots of Head work and an astranged botom end made of OEM parts in the oddest combination. This will run 9k RPM daily and 10k RPM at the track. I have done some 180-200whp nissan twincam 1.6l engines so I hope this SOHC honda can do the same. Lots of engine coatings. Here are some photos.

This is the girdle coated with heat transfer/oil shedding coating as well as custom machining for high rpm oiling to reduce rod failure.

This is the pan coated inside and out thermal transfer coating and the baffle is coated with extra slippery oil shedding coating.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
What type of fuel are you going to run?

Reason I ask is because gasoline doesn't have a fast enough flame front to make power past 9K.

·
Registered
857 Posts
What type of fuel are you going to run?

Reason I ask is because gasoline doesn't have a fast enough flame front to make power past 9K.
LOL where in the h*ll did you get that one?! It's just :bull:
And revving D-series 9...10k is pretty much :bull: too atleast with any OEM internals, and it's definately not gonna be "budget".

Just my opinions.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
why are you revving to 10k? how do you even know you will make power past 7k?

unless the dyno shows that you make power that high, its pointless to go there. and not only that, high revs are extremely detrimental to any motor

and do NOT advertise your business in your sig or anywhere else until you are a paying sponsor...

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
i know someone selling 77mm JE d series high comp. pistons locally ....i can vouche for him and give you his contact info if need be?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

·
CRX KING
1,732 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
There are a few more variables there besides just 9K rpm.

Example: How do you change piston speed?
HUH? What do you mean "How do you change piston speed?" WTF are you talking about?!?!

As you rev higher the piston travels down the bore faster. At some point(around 9000 RPM) the flame front (the speed at which gasoline burns) cannot burn fast enough to keep up with the piston; thus it builds little to no pressure in the combustion chamber.

Have you ever seen a gasoline powered dyno graph where power continues to rise above 9K. No, you haven't.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
r/s ratio will change piston speed. the farther the slug moves(longer stroke), the faster the piston will be moving during the rotation

All info I post relates to the 1.5 r/s ratio D16 engine.

I thought thats what this whole board was about?!?!

From now on I'll make sure and preface everything I say with THIS ONLY RELATES TO THE D16 ENGINE

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
All info I post relates to the 1.5 r/s ratio D16 engine.

I thought thats what this whole board was about?!?!

From now on I'll make sure and preface everything I say with THIS ONLY RELATES TO THE D16 ENGINE
yes, but you can stuff the 1.7L crank/rods in the 1.6 block...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
yes, but you can stuff the 1.7L crank/rods in the 1.6 block...
ok that is true

In a stroked D16 the piston will be moving EVEN FASTER so gas will stop making power well before 9K.

So yes, in an F1 engine where you have a huge bore and super short stroke, gas will make power past 9K but not in our D16.

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
ok wow well that dyno is about fake as hell weres the 5252 and also the is three lines what are that dont mean shit.

and yes i have seen more than one car on pump gas well above 9k list of cars

my boy charlies s2k makes power to 9500
my teachers 2 rx7's on stops making power at 9800 and the next stops at 10250
and the last i know 4 sure is my buddy johns RSX it dont make power past 9150 but is sounds cool at 9500 lol

also i have heard of i dont know 4 sure thogh cuse i havent seen with my 2 eyes that a ls/vtec will make power at 9 to 10k

but i will tell u that 92 octacn pump gas will work a 9k and low 10k but all cars are diff its all about the tuning.

besides all this there is no FUCKIN reason for a sohc 1.6 to go to 10k.

RC

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
its an R6 getting dyno'd testing stock v slip on v full exhaust
ok so were are the tq curve and the hp cuve which one is it u still dont tell me shit!

oh yea perfect example look at every sport bike in the world the make great power way past 9k with pump gas! hello!!!!!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.