Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
The car I'm looking at is a 2000 Ex coupe, the timing belt broke. Should I source a replacemnt engine or is there a way to tell if the top end is trashed before I spend money and time replacing the belt just to find out the valves are bent to sh**.

How do you edit post here? Source not sorse above lol :wacko:

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,104 Posts
compression test and leak down

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can I do that with no timing belt?
maybe you could test compression on one of the cylinders depending on what part of the cycle the cam landed in during it's final rotation. if you try rotating the crank with no timing belt you will crash the valves. most likely the valves are bent up or a cracked piston head if the engine blew it's belt while revving

replacing heads on these motors aint hard it's just finding a good replacement that is tricky

i would pull the valve cover at the very least and see if the valves look ok from there

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda what I figured. I'll go ahead and look for a engine and just snatch the old one out and replace it. Then tear into it and if the valves are good Ill either sell it or build it for a back up motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kinda what I figured. I'll go ahead and look for a engine and just snatch the old one out and replace it. Then tear into it and if the valves are good Ill either sell it or build it for a back up motor.
start with pulling the head to get a look. no sense in pulling the whole motor unless you're really set on doing a motor swap

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
start with pulling the head to get a look. no sense in pulling the whole motor unless you're really set on doing a motor swap
I guess I should go that route and get it back on the road, then build a replacement "built" engine and set it aside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts