Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,
I have recently rebuilt my d16y8, as far as an engine can be rebuilt. The most notable modification is the 8.5:1 Wiseco forged pistons. This engine is going into a 93 Del Sol, and had to be "converted" to obd1. Through some long nights and too many beers I've managed to get it to the point where it will burp at you when you turn it over. The distributor I used was an older one I had laying around, which I know works. I get spark in all four cylinders, I have reasonable compression, and there's definitely fuel getting to the cylinders. All of the spark plugs were wet and smelled like fuel, with a little bit of soot on them. I have the engine set to mechanical TDC, so timing cannot be that far off.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

I am suspicious of a few things, the first being how I modified the distributor plug. The harness is OBD1, and the distributor is OBD2B. So by comparing these two, the #5 pin on the distributor gets connected to the #10 pin on the harness. This leaves #9 on the harness empty. (speed sensor output). I assumed this would only affect the tachometer. I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
The second thing was my fuel pump. I installed a Walbro 255 while the engine was out, but left the stock fuel rail and pressure regulator on there. Maybe there's way too much fuel pressure coming through? I have a hondata s300, which I played with injector size and duty cycle on. I found it to "run" the best with ~800cc injectors, (I have dsm 450) at a upper normal duty cycle. I've tried uploading different tunes on which they had the Walbro 255 or the 8.5:1 pistons, none had both.
Lastly, I've heard that the 5 spoke cam gear is somehow different than the one that comes factory on the d16z6 (del sol original engine). I'm 96% certain that my mechanical TDC is dead on, but maybe the electronic timing is messed up since the ECU had been disconnected while running a completely different engine.

A few more mentions: There was a decent amount of oil in the engine from being rebuilt, however I've tried to start it so much that I'd assume the fuel would've washed the oil in the cylinder away. I've got the engine to run for maybe 2 seconds after the starter was shut off, note that was holding full throttle and the revs weren't coming up at all. Through some of these attempts it blew white smoke, out of my disconnected wastegate dump as well as out the back. Although all four spark plugs were firing, cylinder #4 was the coldest out of them all.

I've tried as much as I know, and I cant seem to determine what's preventing this thing from running. Timing is good (?), all four spark plugs work, compression is definitely there, and there's fuel coming through, may be not the right amount but either way I'm stumped. I have already tried flipping the distributor input thing 180 degrees, although the burping signifies that timing is somewhat correct.

Any help, input or stories of similar problems you've overcome would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,314 Posts
Reload a stock y8 map, scale injector size, then give it 2° advance on the first few cells, pull plugs, shoot some compressed air down the tubes to dry it out, squirt in some light wieght air tool oil and blast in some more air to distribute it, dry and reinstall plugs, and see what happens, no throttle though! Don't want it building boost before you rough the boost sections.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reload a stock y8 map, scale injector size, then give it 2° advance on the first few cells, pull plugs, shoot some compressed air down the tubes to dry it out, squirt in some light wieght air tool oil and blast in some more air to distribute it, dry and reinstall plugs, and see what happens, no throttle though! Don't want it building boost before you rough the boost sections.
Sure I'll give that a shot, I forgot to mention I don't have any charge-piping plumbed, so it's essentially working as an n/a engine as it stands.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried advancing the timing as well as cleaning out the spark plug tubes, nothing changed.

Let me know if this link works.

IMG-1822.MOV

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Its close, try rotating distributor counter clockwise (looking at it from the cap side) to the end of the slot, see what happens.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Too much fuel one way or another, be it too much fuel pressure, ect reading colder than it actually is, iat reading off, or a setting off in the tune.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,477 Posts
stop everything....

if you are sure wiring is ok and timing and the thingy .,,how bout a resistor box...?

with what you describe of your base map I think maybe the water is a little too deep...

put the stock fuel pump back in put in the stock injectors use stock map sensor and load a stock y8 calibration .

get the engine running and then start fucking with shit .....man don't let me down!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts