Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 si
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend. stealthsol on this site is putting together a motor. a d16y8 bottem end with a d16z6 head.
which altenator should be used. i believe he only has the z6's will that work. they have different part numbers and seem to be completly different. and didnt know if the z6 one will work. and will the starter from the z6 be good since he is using the z6 tranny.

W

·
0 Posts
i think it should work. idk about starter but alternator sure i would think it ok. but should change it when he gets money, or buy it now if he gots it

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
i used a z6 alt, z6 starter, b7 tranny, Y8 block, Z6 Head, Y8 IM, Z6 Harness, P28ECU (Hondata)

It all bolted up and works fine!

·
Registered
1993 Honda delSol Si
232 Posts
pelsise said:
i used a z6 alt, z6 starter, b7 tranny, Y8 block, Z6 Head, Y8 IM, Z6 Harness, P28ECU (Hondata)

It all bolted up and works fine!
ill be doing the exact same then, except mine will be z6 tranny...thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
theres two different style alternators( that i know of) theres the 88-91 style which uses a two groove alternator belt and is shorter than the newer ones, also the plugs are way different. i have both types, i tried to put the newer alternator in my car because the old one kept eating belts and, well ,its old. and the crank pulley( engine is qa y7 from a 2000 civic) has three grooves , so all i did was use the two groove belt( but measured that bitch first and got the right length) and just skipped one groove on the crank pulley. you can tell which one you have by the plug style, and the back casing part looks like its made of plastic, the newer ones done't have that, they are all aluminum.

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
sorry, off topic...

Is this for a boosted application? I just wonder, cuz the compression should be uber-low when switching from a Y8 to Z6 head on a stock Y8 block. Or do you have some higher compression pistons? This caught me off gaurd, cuz I usually see people switching from Z6 heads to Y8 heads solely for compression...

-josh-

·
Registered
1993 Honda delSol Si
232 Posts
Yeah it's going to be put together, then boosted asap...

I used the compression calculator on Solblu's website and it did come out pretty low, but i just figured i messed up calculating it or something...what do u think

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
I guess I thought it was going to be really low. I got 9.2:1 with an oe 3-layer gasket. It should be fine on boost. I always thought that you should break in a motor without boost, but I don't really know all the other crazy break-in procedures.

·
Registered
1993 Honda delSol Si
232 Posts
Well I wonder if I should just play it safe and keep my car apart until turbo kit is on. That way I'm not running too low of compression without the turbo. I think that makes sense

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
StealthSol said:
Well I wonder if I should just play it safe and keep my car apart until turbo kit is on. That way I'm not running too low of compression without the turbo. I think that makes sense
I really think that 9.2:1 isn't ALL that low. It's about right for a turbo'd vehicle. In your shoes, I would drop the motor in without the snail, and then after 300 miles, bolt her up. That seems more sensible than going forced induction right of the bat on a new rebuild. Good luck!
-josh-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts