Honda D Series Forum banner
121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Ordered another eBay turbo, the current one has been smoking for some time now. I honestly think it’s shortish life span was somewhat due to the long period of time that I was driving the car without proper crank case ventilation, and possibly too small of a hole drilled in the inlet flange - too much pressure. These are reasons other than the fact that it’s a Chinese turbo, and I’ve been daily driving it ever since the built engine was installed 😉.

Time for my stupid question. I’m going to move the intercooler to behind the crash bar, and will have to do some slight charge pipe rerouting in order to get the bumper on. The outlet of the turbo is and will be 2” OD. The pipe that came with the kit is 2” OD up until it meets the intercooler where they welded a short 2-2.5” transition. The Question: is it better to have that transition further from the outlet? Because I have a ton of 2.5” OD aluminum charge pipe, so it would be cheaper for me to weld that transition closer to the turbo outlet.

Oh and I got a job welding aluminum MIG/TIG a short while back. Daily damage to the CNS 🤙

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,090 Posts
intercooler pipe transition will be fine as is ,, might slightly reduce spoolup if the pipe was bigger sooner so slight it probably wouldn't be noticeable at all..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Welded a new downpipe. Deleted ac when I put in the new eBay turbo.

Welds are not pretty. Poor fit up, used a chop saw for the pie cuts. I was stingy with my purging too. The weld on the inside is a little (a lot) darker than ideal, however there is no sugaring. I’m not wasting a whole K bottle to get silver welds on the inside for this application. If the last one I welded lasted a year (and didn’t fail) this one will too.

Plant Grass Pollution Groundcover Tree

Plant Bicycle handlebar Grass Musical instrument Plumbing fixture

Just don’t look too close 😉. Funny thing is every time I have welded a stainless exhaust component for the car: I start out using a purge until I look at my regulator, then decide to use solar flux.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts