Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 EX Coupe
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
plan on pulling my Y7 that took a crap on me out of my 96 DX, and building a motor. i have a running Z6 in my DD, i just want to know what to expect and if everything would fit and work right. my wish list is as follows :

Y7 Block bored .20 over
PM6 pistons
LS rods machined to fit
arp rod bolts
y8 head gasket
VTEC head, Y8 or Z6
cam?
z6 intake manifold, or a y8 if i can find one
chipped p28
3 inch SRI
2.25 inch exhaust
bisi header

any input would be great, just want to know if i would come into any problems or anything.

·
Registered
2006 Acura TL 6MT
656 Posts
plan on pulling my Y7 that took a crap on me out of my 96 DX, and building a motor. i have a running Z6 in my DD, i just want to know what to expect and if everything would fit and work right. my wish list is as follows :

Y7 Block bored .20 over
PM3 (d15b7) pistons [11.6ish:1 compression?]
LS rods machined to fit
arp rod bolts
y8 head gasket
Z6 head
springs/retainers
crower,bisi, or zex stage 3 cam
z6 intake manifold, or a y8 if i can find one
chipped p28
3 inch SRI
2.25 inch exhaust
bisi header

any input would be great, just want to know if i would come into any problems or anything.
Good luck with p2v.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
nope, at least not as is....
LS rods = 137mm just like a d16
that puts the pm3's .028" out of the hole on a d16 block

that creates tons of p2v clearance issues as well as p2h issues...
the more aggressive cam needs to be accounted for as well

the valve spacing on the PM3's is incorrrect (made for b2/7) not z6, they will need cut out to accomadate the valves so the domes dont get mauled to death

you will need at least a .060" headgasket to make this work

·
Registered
93 EX Coupe
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, at least not as is....
LS rods = 137mm just like a d16
that puts the pm3's .028" out of the hole on a d16 block

that creates tons of p2v clearance issues as well as p2h issues...
the more aggressive cam needs to be accounted for as well

the valve spacing on the PM3's is incorrrect (made for b2/7) not z6, they will need cut out to accomadate the valves so the domes dont get mauled to death

you will need at least a .060" headgasket to make this work
any ideas on what piston i should use with this setup to make around 11:1 compression?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
use the zeal d-series calculator (google it)
any final # that is negative on the piston to deck height means the piston is out of the hole and bad for your engine

be smarter than the calc though....taking material off the head doesnt mean the pistons will go above deck anymore than normal. just p2v becomes more of a concern.
look into pm6 or pg6 pistons...thats pretty common choices

i actually happen to think the y7 has a very overlooked piston design for builds such as this ;)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
the pm3 can be done though...im in the camp that it would be pretty mean
just get the domes cut to fit the valves, plan to run a cometic or aftermarket hg thats fairly thick (.050-.070" or so) and clay it to be 100% sure...and obviously tune it

·
Registered
93 EX Coupe
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i was doing a little more stuff with that calculator....PG6 piston and a Y8/Z6 head gasket will give me 11.6:1 and 0 inch Piston to deck height.

thats about exactly what i was looking for....will that compression compliment a stage 3 cam or should i go stage 2?

my only goals for this build is for the car to be fun to drive, and since my old worn out stock Z6 is already fun, i think i cant lose...unless i miscalculate something, but i do have a tuner i am going to use thats local and does good work.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
zero deck is a great plan. but clay it to be safe. its simple and its cheap and peace of mind is always a nice thing to have on any build like this

honestly, its better to be undercammed than over but "stage 2" or "stage 3" is a bad way of labeling cams...youll find that to be a common opinion around here

get some lift/duration #'s of the cams youd potentially use and talk to the tuner. go from there when it comes to planning this. But i think 11.5:1 and upwards will work well with any aggrssive camshaft set up...i recommend delta profiles if youre on a budget or web cams/bisimoto if full on idle reliability and performance over price are what youre after.

·
Registered
93 EX Coupe
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ill probabally buy a superkit from them.

·
Registered
93 EX Coupe
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey i would say get the Z6 Mani so u can use B seires Trottle body on it :3 n den port match it
way ahead of you :)

got a guy about to sell me a Y8 head and Z6 intake mani, next is a b series TB...i used to have one...but people on this forum said it was a waste of time so i sold it...

·
Registered
93 EX Coupe
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah the y7 manifold and tb is still on it, its really still in the car i have yet to pull it out, im just planning on what to spend my money on.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
see if you can get a hi compression superkit with pg6 or pm6 pistons
ARP rod bolts would be a good idea as well
re-use the stock y7 TB since its perfect for this set up and saves you $$$
rebuild the bottom end on it and then focus on the head...

if youre going to throw down some cash on a n/a buld then spend good money on a proven cam and header and quality machine work...as well as the tune

·
Registered
93 EX Coupe
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
see if you can get a hi compression superkit with pg6 or pm6 pistons
ARP rod bolts would be a good idea as well
re-use the stock y7 TB since its perfect for this set up and saves you $$$
rebuild the bottom end on it and then focus on the head...

if youre going to throw down some cash on a n/a buld then spend good money on a proven cam and header and quality machine work...as well as the tune
i really appreciate all your great advice, but this build has been abandoned... :(

on the bright side its being replaced with a turbo build, picked up a turbonetics manfifold, garrett turbo and wastegate, and 450cc injectors dirt cheap, couldnt pass it up:bigok:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts