Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so after doing some stuff to my car to get it to the point where it handles really well and I want to take it to the track. I run up on some threads online talking about how the oiling system in the y series engines unlike most honda motors, flows from one side to the other of the engine instead of from the center outwards through the bearings. And that this could lead to spinning a bearing as the oil gets pulled away from the pick up by g forces when hard cornering. I'm sure this is the reason why I see so many y series engines that get tracked throwing rods out the block not much later

My question here is, are there any modifications such as oil pan baffles or something as such that could help remediate this potential problem? Open to any ideas that as of now won't mean putting a z6 in my engine bay. Currently I have a y7.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
The usualy fix for this was porting the oil pump for more flow..

Now since your using it for AutoX, you might take a look at some baffles for other honda engines and get ahold of a D series pan and have someone simulate it on your junkyard pan.
I think Moroso has or used to have a B series deep pan with baffles. Might start there as a guide.

·
Registered
201 Posts
/\/\/\ Like he said! Unfortunately, most of the aftermarket road race oil pans that have been built for the D series don't seem to include the Y engines.

One of the best baffle and sump designs I've seen for a D series engine was this guy:

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/canton-15-960-oil-pan-honda-d16a-t-sump-road-race-pan/

It has hinged "trap doors" that only allow oil in but not out. Two of the doors are allowed to close completely, while the other two are cracked open slightly allowing oil to flow in normally. Couple this with the deep "square" sump extension, oil will have more trouble sliding up the side of the pan leading to quicker pump pickup coverage after a corner. You could have this fabricated by someone, or do it yourself if you have the tools/equipment. I plan to attempt this myself this summer for my Y8.

If I could make another suggestion (and it is by no means a replacement to proper oil pan baffling). Another cheap piece of insurance for a reasonably built engine that you do not want starving for oil around corners is an Accusump system.

It is NOT a dry sump system, it is an oil accumulator that holds a charge of oil (they make different volume sizes) under spring pressure, and becomes part of your oil pressure system.

Under normal engine operating conditions, the cylinder just holds a volume of oil under pressure and does nothing, the job of oiling and pressurizing is left to your oil pump.

But in the event you go around a corner and your oil pump pickup becomes exposed to air, your oil pump will quit pumping but the Accusump system will continue to feed your engine pressurized oil until you are through the corner. After the corner and your pump pickup becomes surrounded by oil again and begins pumping, the Accusump cylinder is simply "recharged" (engine oil pump forces oil back into the Accusump cylinder and holds its volume of oil for the next time the pickup becomes exposed).

An added bonus of the Accusump is that this system allows you to somewhat "prelube" you engine prior to start up. Before the engine is shut off, you close the valve to the Accusump cylinder. It will retain the oil and pressure charge within. Next time you go to start your engine, crack the valve open slowly to feed pressurized oil to your engine and start the engine at the same time. Once started, open the valve all the way.

Most guys I know who do not have funds to go custom dry sump (myself included :)) or custom built/expensive oil pan will turn to installing an Accusump system for engine peace-of-mind reasons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts