Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil consuming D16y7 cylinder block.
So I have to bore the cylinder walls,
so I was wondering, if I get some oversized pistons, like the vitara 75.5 ones, and leave the d16y8 head stock. Will this work out okay?
Or should I just get new rings for the piston and leave it as it is?
I've read that you need low compression for boost = Vitara
But then I've read that high compression is good aswell?

I've searched, but it doesn't really make sence to me/can't find anything about SC...

·
Registered
983 Posts
if it was me id bore it just for the displacement. but that should resolve your oil burning assuming the oil isnt coming in through the valve seals.

vitara will be wayyy to low compression for jrsc.

id just use stock pistons or something around 10:1 compression.

mine right now is 11:1 compression with jrsc head is ported and an NA cam making 5psi.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,920 Posts
Yeah dude, if anything you want to up the compression. Get a good tune, don't "turn up the boost" and you won't have any problems. Seriously, don't try to spin the blower faster if you don't know what you're doing and understand how the additional heat will leave you more prone to detonation and potentially destroy your blower

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I should just hone the cylinders, and use bigger piston rings on the original pistons?
I will change the valve seals while I'm busy.

My setup:
-D16y8 crank pulley 6.75"
-JR 3.4 nose pulley
-D16y7 cylinder block
-D16y8 head
-Kiddracing sidewinder header
-Apexi ws2 catback
-w2 testpipe

If the following calculator is correct, then I should set my rev limiter to 7600rpm so I get a maximum of 14923.6RPM at the nose pulley.
Is this correct? I should stay under 15000 rpm right?

Pulley Calculator. RPM, Belt Length, Speed, Animated Diagrams

·
Registered
983 Posts
So what OEM oversized piston should I get? 75.5mm? From what engine?

Thanks for the help guys!!
depends on what compression you want.

i would bore to 75.5mm for sure.(might as well)

but choosing pistons depends on the compression you want. if you just get y8 pistons then it will basically be a stock y8 with 75.5mm bore.

should be around 9.6:1CR

if you went with a 2 layer head gasket should put you at like 9.9:1 (call it 10:1) witch should be perfect.

or if you went with y7 pistons it should put you right at 10:1 with stock head gasket 2 layer puts you at about 10.3:1 witch is what i would do if it was me.

thats all with stock parts.

pistons
rings
rods
bearings
all of it. would also port the oil pump.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
You should really have the middle layer. Look at what it does

See the holes that Honda put there

http://www.lukekailburn.com/media/engine/blockbuild/100_3566.JPG

Do it right,

Skim some off the head and deck to make them nice and flat, use a Y8 HG, Y8 Pistons

Figure out what you should take off the head to bump up the compression to where you want,

Try ~0.030

Those pistons are matched to the CC of the Y8 Head, to direct the flame towards the center off the quench pads on the bottom.

If you wanted to up the compression on the piston side of things, there are some flat top options from some D15s P03s?

Look up piston Design, P2W, Endgap, Quench, Flame Front Physics

Play with the Zeal Calculator,

Realize it takes milling into account only at the block.

·
Registered
983 Posts
been running my 11:1CR y8 with 2 layer head gasket for a year have yet to have any issues with it.

just added a jrsc to it a little over 1000 miles ago and still have had no issues yet.

also to be honest i cant remember if i put the dowels in the block or not lol and still have not had any head gasket issues.

plus many many many people run the 2 layer gasket and your the first ive heard say anything wrong with it.

im not saying its the right way to run with just 2 layer but im not saying there is a real problem with it either lol.

oh witch reminds me you will most likely want ARP head bolts too.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
1000 miles ain't much man.

Lot's of people say "Smoke Crack Rocks"

Sounds good,..?

You need to make sure that the coolant doesn't come out of the pump and bias the coolant on the same side as the pump, so you restrict it close to the pump, and allow more to pass farther from the pump.

Run 75.5mm pistons and have the shop set 0.0010 -15 P2W

I ask you what Factory Service Manual P2W is.

Respect the Studs for not being Bolts

·
Registered
983 Posts
i know 1000 miles isnt a lot thats why i said "yet" lol. i feel that if anything on this engine is to fail it would be the head gasket lol.

lots of people also say that putting nitrous on your car will blow it up.
doesnt make it true.

again not saying it isnt ideal to use all 3 layers just saying it obviously works with just 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so just let me sum it up.

I have the D16Y8 head gasket, that's the good one isn't it?
I will be getting the OEM oversized P2P D16Y8 pistons: 13030-P2P-000
I will have the shop bore the cylinders to 75.5 with a 0.0010 -15 P2W Clearance.
The head is already skimmed once, so I should just let them skim the deck?

Is there an alternative aftermarket for the OEM d16y8 pistons?
Because if I order the pistons at honda, it will cost me about 200€ and I see aftermarket pistons on Ebay for half the price (for example vitara, don't need them, just comparing)

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts