Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Civic CX, Manual

I've checked the basic four: Spark (yellow), gas (plugs get wet), timing (seems ok), compression (about 90 per).

Right now I'm working on spark (yellow is bad, blue is good) but I'm wondering if there might be something more obvious or typical of this model that I should check.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
?? yellow blue ?? Are your plugs fouled hold the gas petal to the ground and crank it for about 30sec to a min. 90 is a bit low if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1996 Honda Civic
582 Posts
might check the ignition module... its a little plastic thingy in the distributor that has like 3-4 wires connected to it. it will allow the engine to crank and even spray fuel like normal but wont let it start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After trying to start the engine, if I check the plugs I'll discover they're completely soaked with fuel. How can "hold the gas petal to the ground and crank it for about 30sec to a min." help? It seems like that would only soak the plugs again.

·
Registered
495 Posts
if the spark is yellow something is wrong. You want a crisp blue spark with a spark checker/screwdriver.

·
Registered
495 Posts
After trying to start the engine, if I check the plugs I'll discover they're completely soaked with fuel. How can "hold the gas petal to the ground and crank it for about 30sec to a min." help? It seems like that would only soak the plugs again.
You are letting as much air into the engine as possible. I believe the fuel pump primes once with ignition on engine off. Once the engine starts it turns on constantly.

Reactions: fuse

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
On a GM if you hold your foot to the floor before the engine starts the fuel injectors don't fire. Maybe its the same on the Y7? I've never tried.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a no start issue with my 99 LX last winter. I checked everything, except compression (I don't have the tool), and I came up with nothing. The car sat for 2 days after the first investigation before I got back around to it. I then turned the key and it fired up. She sputtered a little for a second or two but ran perfect afterwards. The car hasn't done that since... but of course... that was a couple tune-ups ago.
I thought that maybe the dizzy cap and rotor both looked a little worn, but not too bad. The fuel filter was a little dirty, but if the car hadn't acted up I wouldn't have replaced it. I think my issue was the combination of a few things worn adding up to a failure to start.

·
Registered
581 Posts
check ingition control module...i wish i had a scanner..i could scan what the guy at honda gave me...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D16Y7 Still Won't Start...

Ok, well I replaced the ICM and it tried to start, even spun a few times like it was really grateful I just bought a $100 condenser...but to no avail.

Now I'm wondering if I should be checking the fuel pressure for excess flow. Coil?

If the spark is definitely yellow/orange is that a definitive symptom?

Thanks ahead of time!:sweatdrop:

·
Registered
91 Honda Civic Sedan
33 Posts
try replacing your plugs if you havent done so already and maybe your wires if you havent already either it seems to me all your between your dizzy wires and plugs

lmk if anyone of those things work

·
Registered
2 Posts
my delsol is doing the same thing. i did the module coil plugs wires and master relay. my friend told me to take off the distributer and turn 180 degrees and try that. if its getting fuel and u kno it is that the things to check along with all ur fuses and ur ecs fuse. mine was blown check ur grounds too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts