Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive tried this twice now and its getting on my last nerve. I have a 98 civic dx hatch D16Y7 5spd. Im trying to swap a D16Y8 Auto mani. I also got the d16 hondata intake mani gasket. which work fine with the y7 mani. My y8 mani came off a 98 auto ex. I reused my y7 injectors, rail, tb,ecu, purge solenoid. Im using the 98 ex throttle body gasket. Plugged the small orifice on the back of the mani that wouldve been used for cruise control. And plugged one big one on the front. All vaccum apperas to be good, i used new clamp on everything. Should i be using the y8 purge solenoid?? Some people say yes and some say no. I know the sensors are on right cuz i marked them with tape. I ran the pcv straight to vaccum and tee'd the line and sent it to the purge solenoid which then goes to the charcoal canister i think its called. Also the manifold i bought is ported for a gsr tb which is funny cuz i can use one seeing that the IACV is in my y7 tb... Im sure lots of people have had these problems. After searching im posting this becouse i cant find the answer alone. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
gonna have to be a little more specific than "wont idle"
is it high? low? unstabble?
+1
I reused my y7 ... tb....
why did you not get an ex auto tb.

when i did my swap, the idle loped a little at first. but only right after i did the swap. after i adjusted the base idle, it when away.

have you tried to adjust base idle and reset the ecu. do you have any codes?

btw: guess what i have in my living room... here is a hint; it was in the FS section a while back....

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had this trouble also, and I found that using the Y7 TB gasket fixed it.

Just make sure you double check for vacuum leaks everywhere.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the idle is unstable. throws a cel also. problem is i cant drive the car to read it and dont have the diagnostic equipment to do it myself. and it lopes a bit. i can tell you its no where near 800rpm. more like 1400. im gonna try it again tonight using the y7 tb gasket and im gonna use the y8 purge valve. would either purge valve have anything to do with this?

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
the idle is unstable. throws a cel also. problem is i cant drive the car to read it and dont have the diagnostic equipment to do it myself. and it lopes a bit. i can tell you its no where near 800rpm. more like 1400. im gonna try it again tonight using the y7 tb gasket and im gonna use the y8 purge valve. would either purge valve have anything to do with this?
Purge valve should not make a difference. You also should not be throwing a cel if its just your gasket, however that definately needs to be swapped over.

If you get a cel after, check the code to see what it is. Do you know how to jump your service connector to check codes?

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

hondata gasket. u can reuse them more times than an ex girlfriend. im gonna try the y7 tb gasket though. how do i jump to check the codes though. at least then i can narrow it down.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
swapped out the y8 tb gasket for the y7 and amazingly its runs now. no cel. and like i said before the sensors were right. how can you switch a sensor when its got masking tape and map or tps written on it. now the idle tries to go high sometimes though. im gonna mess with the screw tommorow. the main thing is it runs and its driveable. ill post pics later.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
now my throttle sticking a lil bit so i gotta mess with that... but seriously why is the y7's tb gasket like 2mm bigger then the auto y8's

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
now my throttle sticking a lil bit so i gotta mess with that... but seriously why is the y7's tb gasket like 2mm bigger then the auto y8's
Yeah, the Y7 throttle cable is way too long... mine is looped all over my engine bay it seems. In the wrong position, it sticks.

I should just buck up and buy a Y8 cable lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i had the same problem when i did mine a few weeks ago, problem is that the y8 intake has small orphises above each port that i ended up having to plug with silicon to get it to idle properly. also i used a GSR throttle rotor at first and switched it uot for a LS because it would only have half the pull and made the cable way too long.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts